Olympus OM-D E-M5 II

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Thinking of selling all my Canon DSLR kit (7d and a couple of L lenses plus a super wide Tokina and speedlights) and replacing it with an Olympus OM-D E-M5 II and a couple of comparable lenses. What are people's experiences with the robustness/image quality of the Olympus? You can hammer tent pegs in with my Canon so I am keen for something close to it in terms of toughness. Cheers

Dark-Cloud 24 Feb 2019
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

I must have posted this loads now, have a read, loads of other recent EM5 related threads too, consensus is it’s a great camera, I’m on the EM10 myself but considering PX for weather sealing etc....

https://alpineexposures.com/phototips/tips-from-the-pros-which-camera-gear

PPP 24 Feb 2019

Sample size of 1 body here, but within one year I had one of the top dials falling off twice (after fixing it by manufacturer) and the on/off dial didn't work. It just wouldn't turn off! I am not sure what was the deal with the on/off switch, but that other dial was just glued on. The view finder is also easy to lose, but same with Canon.

I wasn't the only with twin dial issues, e.g. this thread: 

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3586057

I did downgrade to used Panasonic GX80 off eBay and it's been a year with no issues so far. Since the body is relatively cheap, I care even less for it. No issues! I think having less moving parts works better... the only annoying part is no way of using remote release shutter without a phone over WiFi. 

E-M MK2 has nicer view finder and I prefer the ergonomics of it, but being without a camera three times within the first year didn't really work for me. 

JDal 24 Feb 2019

Had both the MK1 and MK2, the MK2 for 2+ years, the MK1 for 7. Both were second hand. They get used for general scratting around on the moors types of shots and thrashing around in woodland for botanical stuff. Not had a problem with either. Pic quality is limited by the lenses I choose to afford and my skills. Note that the cheaper lenses are not weatherproofed, although I dragged my MK1 through the water for 5 minutes without realising, with a cheap placcy lens mounted. It was fine, except a dial switch needed a clean 6 years later.

Jim Lancs 24 Feb 2019

Had a OM-D E M5 Mark 1 for 6+ (?) years at least. Have it in an old Lowe  soft case at my waist or to hand for all my climbing and cycling adventures. No problems with it at all. 

I shoot RAW and use Lightroom for adjustments and are really happy with the results. I wouldn't be prepared to carry anything bigger.

jethro kiernan 25 Feb 2019

Image quality is pretty good with the right lenses, dynamic range is not as good as your used to.

relativly robust cameras wth good weather sealing, I have had to glue a dial back on and the eye cup is a lost cause but they have been pretty abused.

I mainly use Nikon full frame, the Oly is my “compact” I do find having to go into menues a little frustrating at times and in cold weather this has produced a few fumbles and messed up settings with cold fingers compared to the Nikon.

the good lenses are really good and the weight and bulk saving are enormous.

Marmolata 25 Feb 2019

Maybe the Lumix G9 is an alternative. Same mount as the EM5-II and also fully weatherproofed. For their full frame camera Panasonic has recently upped their toughness lots, reportedly.

planetmarshall 25 Feb 2019

The E-M10 was my workhorse camera for everything from Scottish Winter to the Himalaya. It finally gave up this year after numerous failed attempts to kill it. See my gallery for examples.

Recently bought a second hand E-M5 II.

Toerag 25 Feb 2019
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> dynamic range is not as good as your used to.

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm would beg to differ.

Anyhow, to the OP - get a secondhand OMD and 12-40Pro and give them a whirl - I doubt you'll be disappointed unless you're struggling for light. Weathersealing is fine on my Mk1 - no problems in snow, or getting glubbed by a wave on a coastal hike a couple of weeks ago. I've never heard of any complaints on the olympus weathersealing. Durability - the rubber eyecups get knocked off far too easily and genuine replacements are ridiculously expensive. Repairs seem to be a reasonable price - mine developed a sticky shutter after 10k actuations and was fixed (replaced) for £140.

Solsbury 26 Feb 2019

Hi, butting in a bit but I have been considering this camera and wanted to ask how complicated are the menus really, it's something that comes up in reviews and in many ways I will be a digital newbie.

Did quite a bit of film photography including developing and printing. Have got a Pentax K10 d but not used it a much as it is such a beast, also struggled with deciding what to do and how to do it with the images I did take.

Have missed it so looking at trying again. The EM 5 ticks a lot if boxes but is at too of affordability, my one concern is I will struggle with the menus.

Any feedback?

Thanks, 

Rich

Alpenglow 26 Feb 2019
In reply to Solsbury:

Takes a little bit of setting up, but no issues when you're using it.

It has a 'Super Control Panel' that summarizes all the main settings on the LCD that is really useful.  

Si Withington 27 Feb 2019

I 'downgraded' to an EM5 from pro Nikon kit (old job) via various similar options from Fuji and Sony after realising how little I carried anything other than a compact (TG4) in the hills. The EM5 is a great compromise. I paired it up with the excellent 9-18 4/5.6 which I found incredible for its size and speed. In an attempt to go even smaller I now have a Panasonic 12-32 3.5/5.6 which is cheap but seriously good. Check out the reviews.

Weather sealing and general robustness of the EM5 seems good (lens isn't sealed but it's cheap to replace if the worst comes to the worst... and it hasn't) although it stays at home in proper grim conditions.

Menu is a bit faffy but not a major issue. Only annoyance is that the centre button on the back that changes the focus point gets knocked so then you come to shoot your next shot to find it's focusing somewhere weird. Back button focusing isn't ideal with big gloves either but you can work around this.

Just my thoughts.

Si

Post edited at 10:40
 Toerag 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Solsbury:

> Hi, butting in a bit but I have been considering this camera and wanted to ask how complicated are the menus really, it's something that comes up in reviews and in many ways I will be a digital newbie.

Essentially menus are 'set and forget' if you use the super control panel (SCP). SCP allows you to change things you regularly want to like flash settings, white balance (although auto is all I ever normally need), shooting mode, autofocus mode etc..  The only thing I ever normally go into the menus for is to set the file naming structure. Although reviewers complain about them, the reality for a long term user is that they're not a problem.

Dark-Cloud 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Solsbury:

Good little video on the EM5 SCP here, it's all i use on the EM10, very rarely delve into the full menus

youtube.com/watch?v=HJhM8jrcju0&

jethro kiernan 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Si Withington:

Ideal lens combo would be 9-18mm and a 45mm 

Thanks for some really helpful responses, I think I will take the plunge - just need to sell my Canon kit. Anyone fancy a 7d and a collection of v good lenses?

icnoble 28 Feb 2019

Have you considered Fuji, you can pick up a used XT 20 for about £450. Their lenses are some of the best around.

wercat 12 Mar 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

If the reviewer in that article knew much of the history of the OM Series (I used to have an OM1 and started with an OM20)  He wouldn't have thought it just lookedd like a "Point and Shoot" Camera!

Si Withington 19 Mar 2019

FWIW I'm selling my EM5 ii. Message me if keen!

In reply to Si Withington:

Cheers but sold my Canon kit and bought an EM5 already.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...