Not enough climbing in top 10 climbing photos!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 15 Nov 2012
To UKC:
I think there is a case for separating the rock climbing photos from the alpine/mountaineering photos in the weekly top 10s.
This week for instance there is only one rock climbing shot and one of point 5. All the rest are alpine landscapes without even any climbing going on; much as I like these and can see why they catch a lot of votes I click on the top ten climbing shots to people gripped on routes!
 pebbles 15 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury: you may...someone else might click on them in the hope of seeing ice climbing or perhaps just bouldering , while others may just enjoy the whole range of mountain subjects. just dont click on the thumbnails youre not that into! I just clicked, and remembered the fantastic shots of mountains in the antarctic posted this week, the odds are you will never visit the antarctic, and if you only viewed rock climbing photos you would not have seen them either, dont you think you would have missed seeing something fantastic?
pasbury 15 Nov 2012
In reply to pebbles:

I'm not saying they should be excluded but perhaps have a separate top ten for Alpine/mountaineering shots. I would still like to look at them but not to the exclusion of the climbing photos.
myth 15 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury: not enough good weather for climbing photos. Good climbing photos are hard and potentially dangerous to take
 Robert Durran 15 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury:

Bloody skiing..... it'll be biking next....
 Euge 15 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury: I hate it when there are loads of bouldering photos.. Horses for courses...
 Chris the Tall 15 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury:
Would be good if we could have a weekly top ten in each category
 subalpine 15 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury: uk bouldering is the site for you..
pasbury 15 Nov 2012
In reply to Euge:

Blimey I didn't think I was making a very contentious point!

There are loads of amazing photos on this site and several really talented photographers post stuff every week. I'd like to see ONE more category of top ten images to look at.
It might look like this:

Top 10 Hill Photos

Top 10 Climbing Photos

Top 10 Alpine/Mountaineering Photos

Is that a bad thing?
 kwoods 15 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury: I'd also like to see a Like button on pics instead of a rating but that's a different kettle of fish.
 richgac 16 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury:
Well I agree with you anyway! Climbing photos on a climbing website seems a simple concept, but looking for inspiration it's hard to avoid getting bogged down in galleries full of (admittedly very good) landscape shots, sometimes barely even related to a climbing area. +1 for the idea of separating the subjects in the top 10's at least
 Russell Lovett 16 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury: Another yes vote for more catagrys in the top 10 photo,s.
cap'nChino 16 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury: there only used to be one category and when they changed it to two to accommodate Ukc and ukh there was quite the stink. I doubt they want to go through that again.

A while back the mods did put a like button on the forums. Again there was a massive backlash against the idea, people did not want Facebook near Ukc. The mods made a hasty retreat on that too. Fair play to them for listening.

Trangia 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Euge:
> (In reply to pasbury)

Horses for courses...
>

Oh no! Not horses! They are worse than montain scenes, skiing and biking....

Robert Durran 16 Nov 2012
In reply to Trangia:
> Oh no! Not horses! They are worse than montain scenes, skiing and biking....

Actually I'd much prefer photos of people pony trekking to ones of mountain biking. Much more in the spirit of the hills.

Ecosse Images 19 Nov 2012
In reply to pasbury: I'd like to see the top ten photos of pictures that were taken in that week rather than somebody pulling something out from years ago

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...