Nikon Coolpix P950

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Clarke 12 Mar 2023

I'm thinking of buying one of these Nikons as a replacement for my much travelled but now sadly deceased Canon Powershot bridge camera. Has anyone got any experience - good or bad - of using one? I'm particularly attracted by the zoom range, as I like to do the odd bit of twitching so want something that could get passable bird shots. I'd prefer a bigger sensor, but this is near the top of what I'd be prepared to spend.

In the past I've taken my photography quite seriously and lugged around a body and lenses, but those days are gone. I've found the convenience of a bridge ideal and don't want to go back to the big bag. Don't much like compacts as I prefer to look through a viewfinder.

Any feedback gratefully received.

boriselbrus 12 Mar 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I borrowed one for a few weeks when I was looking to change from a DSLR and a bag full of lenses to something a bit more portable.  The small sensor size meant that the quality of most photos was limited especially in low light (anything other than bright daylight).  Images were noisy, and almost pixelated, sharpness was very poor.  Whilst the full zoom was good on paper, in practice it was only good for stationary scenes.  It's basically impossible to keep a bird in flight in the viewfinder which is just as well as the autofocus can't cope with birds anyway.

In the end I went with the Sony RX10 Mk4.  It's more expensive, but a much more capable camera.  The zoom range is more usable, and the autofocus is almost like witchcraft.  Image quality is way better than the Nikon and I can get crystal clear images at 600mm equivalent, even in relatively poor light.  I prefer it to my DSLR with several lenses as I actually take it with me because it's several kg lighter.  I really wanted to like the P950 because of the long lens, but I found it to be a fairly unusable one trick pony.

OP Andy Clarke 12 Mar 2023
In reply to boriselbrus:

Thanks, that's very useful indeed. Looks like I might have to go second-hand to avoid breaking the bank.

Back in the days when I did carry a big bag, the motordrive took 12 AA batteries. Just thinking about it brings on a limp.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...