Need a new compact camera quickish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 03 Apr 2017
I need a new compact camera. I don't really want to spend more than about 150 quid, 200 tops. I want it to be small so it can go in pocket when climbing and ski touring, and have a battery with a decent life to it.

I had a little Lumix for years that did all of those things and served me very well. In particular the battery life was fantastic and it took loads of knocks over the years with no real ill effects. I then spent quite a lot of money on a Canon S110 a few years back, to get better quality photos. It sort of worked but I didn't ever take full advantage of the manual settings, never used the RAW setting, and found the battery was pretty poor particularly in the cold, and doing a lot of ice climbing and skiing that became a real issue. It also got bashed about a bit and was tough enough but little things like the lens cap would stick which became annoying. And then the the rear screen packed in, and it didn't seem worth the cost of getting it fixed.

The Sony DSCWX350 is on sale now and hence in my price range. Anyone tried one and got an opinion? Or some other recommendation for around 150? I need to get one in the next week, so waiting for the perfect second hand thing to come up on ebay isn't an option. Cheers all.
 Blue Straggler 03 Apr 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Maybe Olympus TG-4? I know you don't need it waterproof but I can vouch for the battery life being good (although not tested battery life in the cold). Camera designed to work in the cold so maybe the battery works well in the cold too?

There is one on "auction site" for £180

I'll be honest, somehow I've not had amazing results underwater with this but I am sure that is user error because I have seen GREAT shots from this highly regarded camera. I need to practice! But of course some of the price is going into the waterproof aspect and you might prefer to sacrifice that in favour of some other aspect.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Apr 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Get yourself to Harrison Photovideo on London Road and tell them what you want. Super helpful and you can have a fiddle with whatever they recommend.

Chris
OP TobyA 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks Chris. Do they do second hand kit too? Good idea as i don't know of any shops in Sheffield, so that's a good recommendation.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 Apr 2017
In reply to TobyA:

> Thanks Chris. Do they do second hand kit too? Good idea as i don't know of any shops in Sheffield, so that's a good recommendation.

Yes - they have a lot of 2nd hand stock, and really helpful staff - mention my name too

Chris
 HeMa 04 Apr 2017
In reply to TobyA:

If you were happy with the Lumix, the LX-3 (or 5) might be in your price range.

I had the Tough something and to be honest, the quality of the pics was utter shite...

Way over your budget, but Lumix GM-5 with a nice pancake lens is the one camera I'm lustin' after for climbing and skiing and such. Full MFT and still compact enough to carry around. Good selection of lenses to boost (and out household already having 2 MFT bodies, we do have a reasonable selection of lenses).
 d_b 07 Apr 2017
In reply to HeMa:

Maybe even the LX-7 now the LX-100 has been out for a bit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...