Mystery Profile Pictures

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 08 Mar 2020

There seem to be a steady stream of people uploading profile pictures on here with no profile. Very often slightly glamorous women or buff over groomed men - not really outdoorsy climbing looking types. What's going on? 

Post edited at 12:55
In reply to Robert Durran:

That instagrammy, stepford wives style schtick won't wash on here. If some troll farm wants to influence the UKC hive they'll have to integrate first - in doing so they'll deradicalise (one would hope!).

Post edited at 13:49
Andy 1902 08 Mar 2020

Have you been admiring hirsuit men again...

Removed User 08 Mar 2020

How do you know?

Do you regularly check through all the profiles?

OP Robert Durran 08 Mar 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> How do you know?

> Do you regularly check through all the profiles?

I regularly look at the latest photo uploads. You can't miss them.

TobyA 08 Mar 2020

I just scanned through the first 15 pages of profile pics and saw 2 that might be what you're describing. Have they been purged do your reckon?

I rarely look at the photos these days but some years back, when I moderated photos here regularly, I did often wonder about the popularity it seemed among normally youngish women uploading close up profile pictures of themselves in non-climbing situations. Often perfectly nice photos, but giving no anonymity and not connected to the thing that brings you to a climbing website! I don't know if it still happens but there were some regular male users who seemed to just consistently comment on profile pics of women, normally younger women, and in their consistency, their comments like "beautiful" came over as quite creepy.

Removed User 08 Mar 2020

Fair enough.

It never occurred to me to do that. I only ever check a profile if someone posts something that is either clever or bollocks.

jethro kiernan 08 Mar 2020

It maybe that your just getting older and the younger generation just look sparklier and more glamorous in comparison 😀

have checked their profiles they could be boulderers 

Post edited at 18:53
 Blue Straggler 08 Mar 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, I actually contacted one example of what you describe and advised her to change it, and she replied to thank me and told me that she’d had a deluge of emails via the site from male strangers all offering to pair up and “teach her climbing”. And that was just one that I contacted 

Max factor 08 Mar 2020

> Very often slightly glamorous women or buff over groomed men - not really outdoorsy climbing looking types. What's going on? 

You've just described the populace of a number of London bouldering centres I could mention. Perhaps UKC is catching up?

Le Sapeur 08 Mar 2020

> How do you know?

> Do you regularly check through all the profiles?

That's a really silly reply. Anyone who looks at the latest photos can easily see what's being uploaded. Actually, that's a bit of a creepy rely.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Yes, I actually contacted one example of what you describe and advised her to change it, and she replied to thank me and told me that she’d had a deluge of emails via the site from male strangers all offering to pair up and “teach her climbing”. And that was just one that I contacted 

So maybe UKC is being used as a surrogate dating site?

In reply to TobyA:

> I just scanned through the first 15 pages of profile pics and saw 2 that might be what you're describing. Have they been purged do your reckon?

Well there's two obvious candidates on just the first page (the woman with flowers and the man on the motorbike).

In reply to jethro kiernan:

> It maybe that your just getting older and the younger generation just look sparklier and more glamorous in comparison 😀

I am sure that they are, but what is odd is that the photos just seem very odd choices with no connection to climbing.

> have checked their profiles they could be boulderers.

Ah yes, no connection to climbing

In reply to Max factor:

>  You've just described the populace of a number of London bouldering centres I could mention. 

So it's the "London Wankers"? (I remember somebody coining this phrase a while back on here).

FactorXXX 08 Mar 2020
In reply to TobyA:

>  I don't know if it still happens but there were some regular male users who seemed to just consistently comment on profile pics of women, normally younger women, and in their consistency, their comments like "beautiful" came over as quite creepy.

Mark Davies PK had a habit of such behaviour. 

TobyA 09 Mar 2020

The woman in the greenhouse seems to be sniffing some succulent plants and has her eyes closed! It's a perfectly nice picture but not sure if I would term it "glamorous" - perhaps if you are a 70 year old fan of Gardeners Question Time.

Dude on the bike - maybe he thinks that's just the best photo anyone has taken of him, so he's using it for every social media profile going!

Removed User 09 Mar 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> That's a really silly reply. Anyone who looks at the latest photos can easily see what's being uploaded. Actually, that's a bit of a creepy rely.

I think what you're trying to say is "that's a really silly question"?

I'm not sure why you think that. It's not as if it's compulsory to explore and fully utilise every feature of this website before using  this forum is it?  I didn't think profile pictures were included in the weekly photos probably because it's so long ago since I've looked I'd forgotten.

My question was a little tongue in cheek as I know Robert isn't a pervy sort of person, just a little tease really but obviously you didn't catch it. Mind you I suppose if someone did have a predatory instinct checking the photos every week would be a good way of locating potential prey and it would be a bit creepy. Toby's post suggests that perhaps this is what some people are doing.

I'm afraid your last sentence makes no sense so I'm afraid I can't address it.

We added a report button to the photo page a while ago. Please use that.

Kinda surprised to hear you say some are getting through the net. The SPAM profiles usually stand out like a sore with thumb with some photo of an scantily clad asian woman and get banned before the photo is approved. All 7 pages of the latest photos look fine to me.

Post edited at 20:49
 kevin stephens 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

It’s probably laziness with folk uploading their dating profile pic saved on their computer or phone rather than finding or taking a more climbing based photo 

beardy mike 15 Mar 2020

> I only ever check a profile if someone posts something that is either clever or bollocks.

Jesus! You must be checking a lot of profiles!

Philip 16 Mar 2020

I've had the same profile picture since this forum migrated from the old Rockfax text only version. The photo will be 20 years old next year. Perhaps I should update it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...