Moving from desktop Lightroom to cloud

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 03 Mar 2019

I am thinking of moving from my lightroom 6 to the Cloud based Lightroom, anything I should know any tips for moving files across. I’m willing to take my time and would possibly only move starred pictures across taking the opportunity to tidy up my files as I went.

and obviously ant things to look out for

ChrisJD 04 Mar 2019
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Why not stay as you are and go to a 'subscription' desktop 'Lightroom Classic CC'? (Now at v8.1)

Post edited at 16:49
 Durbs 04 Mar 2019

Having played with the Cloud version, much as I wanted to love it, I can't be tempted away.

• The development tools aren't as powerful
  • As of yet, no plugins for things like SmugMug / Flickr
  • Printing didn't seem quite as well implemented

I loved the idea of using both; cull, rate and quick edit in the cloud on the train, in a hotel etc, then full edits on the PC at home, but without a bit of a workaround, this isn't really feasible.

I'm also scuppered by using an A7R2, which has 86mb RAW files which are rather slow to upload in the first place...

In reply to ChrisJD:

That maybe the way forward, I need to look at the subscriptions, I’d prefer the classic the cc is quite handy on the fly

ChrisJD 04 Mar 2019

It's £10/month (£9.98!) for me - get LR-Classic & PS.  And access to LR-CC to try out with a measly 20GB online storage.  For double that, you get all three plus 1 TB cloud.

Mike_d78 04 Mar 2019

I have the £10/month option. All my photos are in collections (year/month), which are synced to the cloud. Any edits I do in classic sync to the cloud, any edits I do on my phone or tablet (normally just flagging) sync back to my collections in classic. 

All means I get lots of the benefits of the cloud for my 600Gb of images, without shelling out a fortune every month. 

To me there is almost no work around required, it's dead easy. 

JDal 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Mike_d78:

Sounds ideal, what puts me off is getting my measly 400GB onto the cloud - how are you handling that on the £10 option? I can't justify an upgrade for storage alone when I have paid for 1TB cloud storage on Dropbox. 

Mike_d78 05 Mar 2019
In reply to JDal:

Hi, I always find catalogues folders & collections difficult to explain in LR, but here goes......

In LR Classic I have all my folders mirrored in collections, these collections then sync to the cloud. So I can edit on my laptop in LR Classic and the images will sync to the cloud or I can edit on my phone, tablet or online using my laptop and this will sync back to the collection and therefore my catalogue on the lap top.

I'm currently using 37.84mb of the 20gb available!

ChrisJD 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Mike_d78:

> I'm currently using 37.84mb of the 20gb available!

Something doesn't quite add up there..... are you sure that your collections are actually stored in the cloud?  37 MB is only a handful of images.

LR-Classic-CC is not the same as LR-CC.

My Phone (via LR-Mobile) syncs with Lightroom-Classic-CC on the desktop, but images aren't stored in LR-CC cloud

Post edited at 11:51
 Mike_d78 05 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

Hi, no they are not stored in the cloud but they do sync from my LR-Classic-CC catalogue/folders/collections to LR-CC where I can access and edit all my LR photos via myphone/tablet/laptop web browser.

The link is collections, which sync from LR-Classic-CC to LR-CC.

(I hate all the LR terminology and I'm a bit sloppy with my descriptions, so apologies if I'm not explaining very well!)

FYI  I actually can't use LR-CC because it runs off Windows 10 and I have 7.

Here are some images of how I do it...

LR-Classic-CC folders are mirrored as collections, which sync to LR-CC:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129407392@N03/46564523804/in/datetaken/

LR-CC accessed via my web browser:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129407392@N03/47288238381/in/datetaken/

LR-CC mobile on my phone

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129407392@N03/47288234111/in/datetaken/

Mike_d78 05 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

So to me you get a lot (most??) of the benefits (access to your images wherever you are) of LR-CC without the cost.....

Phil West 05 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

I *think* that a tiny version of your image is stored in the cloud rather than your RAW files, despite the file name being the same. You edit it on your mobile device then the edits are synced back to the full-fat image when you next open your desktop. That's how LR works in the first place isn't it - non-destructive.

Phil

Mike_d78 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Phil West:

Could be...I appreciate that full sized images would be much larger. I just downloaded an image to my phone it is 2048 x 1365 & 552kB.

I only use the mobile version for viewing and culling, edits I do in LR-Classic-CC.

ChrisJD 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Phil West:

No, LR-CC (not LR-Classic-CC) stores the actual images in the cloud (hence the 1 TB option) if you go the LR-CC route.

LR-CC is a separate program you have to install and is distinct from LR-Classic-CC.

And LR-Mobile is not LR-CC.

And yes, Adobe have made it bloody confusing!

Mike_d78 05 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

Just for fun.....I don't think LR mobile is a thing....isn't it all LR-CC...so LR mobile is LR-CC (smiley face).

As I mentioned my Windows & laptop won't run LR-CC........so I just use LR-Classic-CC.

I always find the LR-Classic-CC & LR-CC threads kind of hilarious.......

Durbs 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Mike_d78:

I'm actually doing what you're doing - though not as dramatically. I basically import from my camera into a "To Do" folder, and add it to the "To Do" collection, which is then synced to LR-Cloud.

This way, only smart previews are added to the cloud storage which take up nominal space - I seem to remember reading that smart previews don't actually count towards your cloud usage either.

It's not a perfect solution for me as you don't then have the full versions in the cloud (for downloading, sharing etc), and if you upload straight to the cloud, this doesn't add the image into LR-Classic (just the collection, but it won't auto-download the photo to my desktop). So if I add photos once on holiday, it's a bit of a faff to download them into Classic.

It's close mind, and having full Photoshop in the package too is useful on occasion.

ChrisJD 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Mike_d78:

Yes you are right, the app on my android phone is CC (never use it bar to sync photos taken on phone back to desktop, so hadn't paid it much attention: it used to be just a mobile app, limited in function), so I was wrong to say LR on a mobile not CC, it is.

Eventually CC will include all the editing features/controls of Classic, and they will fully merge with mandatory Cloud storage and only CC on offer.  This doesn't particularly bother me long term.

I get the feeling they are holding back on giving Classic all the CC features (e.g. auto-tagging/keywords and advanced searching).  This does bother me short term.

galpinos 05 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

I'm now totally confused. I've been looking into editing packages and this thread has made things more difficult.

I'd kind of decided on Lightroom, am i wrong? (Fuji XT-1 and RAW files) and was going to just get Lightroom CC + 1TB.

Does Lightroom CC have all the functionality of Lightroom Classic CC? I have a free Lightroom CC app on my iphone, how is that different from a paid version of Lightroom CC?

ChrisJD 05 Mar 2019
In reply to galpinos:

It's a dogs dinner. well done Adobe.

See Durbs post further up, he may also have further insight into the CC versus Classic.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-...

If you go Classic at £10/month, you still get access to CC (but only with 20 GB Cloud Storage of Images), so you can evaluate both, then decide if you want to change plan.

Phil West 05 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

I agree but that's not what I meant to say.

Phil West 05 Mar 2019
In reply to galpinos:

I use Classic CC/Photoshop (£9.98 per month). I've got a simple workflow and I don't mind taking my Macbook on holiday. I also have the LR app on my phone but as far as I'm aware it doesn't have full LR functionality. I just use it to sync certain collections so that I've got particular photos with me wherever I am (for viewing purposes only).

Personally, I only ever want to edit iPhone shots on my phone and I use Snapseed and Photoshop Express, Mix and Fix to do that. All my RAW files from my DSLR or climbing compact get edited in LR & Photoshop where I can better see what I'm doing and have better control.

I import all my images from all my devices including iPhone to a LaCie Rugged portable hard drive and import them into a single LR catalog. I don't keep any images on my computer. I create collections and smart collections to group types of images and to view by year/holiday, etc. Every image has keywords added upon import. I backup this portable drive to an external hard drive locked to my desk every week. I have other hard drives I can back up to and every now and again I copy everything (RAW files and all, not just edits) to another hard drive. If I can still be bothered I'll upload everything to my Flickr account (I only make certain images public - you can store unlimited stuff privately as with Dropbox).

Phil

ChrisJD 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Phil West:

I'd also recommend Backblaze for cloud backup of all your files (PC/Mac hard drives and attached external drives, not NAS though).  At $50/year for unlimited storage it is a no-brainer.

They seemed to have upped the storage to 1 TB, just signed up, the CC is handy with the laptop for quick and dirty edits

Mike_d78 09 Mar 2019

Yes, I'm not sure when they did that. Are you going for the CC only or the one which includes Photoshop? 

In reply to Mike_d78:

Must have been in the last 36 hours, or it kicks in if you let the trial expire

I went for the package with 1 TB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...