Monitor for photoediting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 26 Dec 2018

Looking some advice on the cost benefit for a new monitor. I'm switching back to a Linux photoediting setup, sold my Mac (for more than paid originally!) and my 2009 dell Ultrasharp (1680x1050).

I don't need it for games. So my main features are wide gamut, comfortable on the eyes. Not bothered about speakers, usb hub.

I was looking at a BenQ PD2500Q, 2k, IPS, factory calibrated. £260 on Amazon.

I'd love to find something under £200. It's not the money so much as the proportion spent on minor hobby. Any recommendations for anything better in the 200-270 range?

Alternatively, what if I went 4k, TN and not colour matched. Asus have one for around £200 and I can probably get a second hand one for less . 

In reply to Philip:

I'd always recommend an IPS panel for photos.

A 4k TN panel will likely be worse colourwise versus a 1080p or 1440p TN panel for the same money in my experience so check the reviews.

OP Philip 26 Dec 2018
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

I've always thought that, but that was when TN panels were 6bit and IPS 8bit. Now you see TN panels with excellent colour ratings, and they seem to push IPS as more about viewing angle. I wondered if things had changed.

Print colour is all that matters to me, as I can't control the screen calibration on all the devices friends and family use to look at for pictures.

It did strike me that 1080p might be a bit lacking as even my mobile phone is QHD.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...