Lumix LX100 advice wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 23 Oct 2021

I wonder if anyone who has a Lumix LX100 (original or mark 2) can give me an idea of how robust it is and resistant to damp it is when being used in rough outdoor conditions. I currently have a Sony Rx100 Mk1 as my compact camera but am considering a change to something with a viewfinder and more tactile controls which make it less fiddly and more pleasurable to use (at some expense of  small size and weight). I am also nervous of upgrading to an RX100 version with a viewfinder given their reputation for lack of robustness, especially with damp.

Myfyr Tomos 23 Oct 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

Hi Robert. I have an original LX100 camera which is now 6 years old and has been used and abused and still comes out fighting. I thought I had killed it on one extremely wet mountain day about three years ago but after much dismantling and drying, it survived. It is a wonderful piece of kit to use, all dials and rings and has a cracking sensor. But, and it's a big but, the Mk1 suffers badly, very badly from dust on the sensor. From about 3 years old the problem has got worse and worse. Lightroom sorts it out but it's a pain! I understand the Mk2 has this sorted... 

Apart from the dust, a brilliant camera - just a bit bigger than your RX100. 

OP Robert Durran 23 Oct 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Thanks Myfyr, that's really useful. Do you know whether it is possible to customise the control ring round the lens to zoom. (i'm finding it hard to find out online). If not, how sensitive is the zoom lever on top of the camera; one of the things I dislike about my RX100 is that the lever is hard to control and overshoots once I stop levering it.

Myfyr Tomos 23 Oct 2021

The control ring is quite easy to customise to the zoom mode, but I always use the zoom lever. I find it very controllable and quite sensitive. It is quite "old fashoned" in many ways, that's why I like it.

Try and find a Mk2 to play with. I'm sure you'd approve...

Post edited at 21:08
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> The control ring is quite easy to customise to the zoom mode, but I always use the zoom lever. I find it very controllable and quite sensitive. It is quite "old fashoned" in many ways, that's why I like it.

Thanks - I'm keen on "old fashioned" - like my Fuji (I wish Fuji did a high end compact with a viewfinder and zoom!)

> Try and find a Mk2 to play with. I'm sure you'd approve...

I think I'll try to do so.

Myfyr Tomos 23 Oct 2021

Guaranteed weather sealing would be good as well. 😊

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Guaranteed weather sealing would be good as well. 😊

Indeed. What I want is a Fuji X100 with a zoom!

Mike_d78 24 Oct 2021

Size comparison...

Mike_d78 24 Oct 2021
In reply to Mike_d78:

I had the LX100 mk1. Enjoyed using it but went the opposite way to the rx100vi for better pocketability.

Mike_d78 24 Oct 2021

Though bigger than the LX100

OP Robert Durran 24 Oct 2021
In reply to Mike_d78:

> Is the Canon G1 an option for you? 

Thanks. Definitely worth considering, though a bit pricier. I do like the look of the LX100's Fuji like controls though - I think I'll aim to get my hands on one for a start.

OP Robert Durran 24 Oct 2021
In reply to Mike_d78:

> I had the LX100 mk1. Enjoyed using it but went the opposite way to the rx100vi for better pocketability.

I think I would probably keep my RX100 as a point and shoot on climbs when photography is not a priority.

NathanP 24 Oct 2021

I have an original LX100, from new. No problems as such but a few weeks ago I (foolishly) used it in very wet conditions and was seeing water on the zoom barrel for a couple of days after. I read that mk.2 has better dust sealing so maybe a bit better against moisture too.  

Mathias 25 Oct 2021

I have my LX100 (original) since 2016. I've carried it in a pouch on my harness on many multi pitch and the occassional ice climb. Considering this, it's still looking fairly fresh. However, the lens is stuck since a crash on my snowboard this spring, carrying it in pocket of my jacket. I can still use it, I just have to pull slightly on the lens after turning it on.

The camera really does collect a lot of dust on the sensor, but there is an easy solution for this. Cut a plastic bottle to create an impromptu funnel that sits flush on the lens. Then use the vacuum cleaner to suck air out of the lens through the funnel. Before learning about this, there were about 20 visible specks on my images. All but one of them were gone after just a few seconds of vacuuming.

All in all a very good camera for its size.

Post edited at 21:01
 Martin Hore 26 Oct 2021

I'm in a vey similar marketplace. My Sony RX100 Mk1 is now kaput. The Lumix LX100 Mk 2 looks like a possible replacement, but I might alternatively go for a later model Sony RX100. The image quality on the Sony RX100 Mk 1 is excellent. How will the Lumix LX100 compare? It has a larger sensor, though smaller effective pixel count (which I know shouldn't be a determining factor). How does the lens quality compare? Does anyone have experience comparing both?

Many thanks

Martin

Paulhesketh 26 Oct 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

There's a comparison here...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-compact-zoom-cameras

Both very good cameras, so I think choice very much depends on specific users needs!

OP Robert Durran 26 Oct 2021
In reply to Paulhesketh:

> There's a comparison here...

> Both very good cameras, so I think choice very much depends on specific users needs!

Yes, if I were to go for another Sony, I think I'd get the Mk 4 so that I'd get the viewfinder and the tilting screen (I don't think I'd want the compromises of the much longer lens on the Mk 6 or 7).

One drawback of the LX100 is the lack of a tilting screen which would be very useful when climbing to be able to hold the camera out from the rock on a belay.

I wonder if a day will come when you can order a camera with features to order!

And an advantage of the Sony for me is that I can use the free Sony version of Capture Express for processing (I really love the Fuji version), but I would have to buy the full version for for the Lumix.

Post edited at 11:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...