Limited Edition Photographs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 craig h 30 Aug 2017
I'm wondering if anyone can clarify the rules / limitations / ethics of selling limited edition photographs. I've had a read, but everything seems a bit vague tbh. What makes a limited edition?

I currently sell A3 prints as a limited edition of 20, no problem there as once the 20 are sold that's the end of that run. But could I use the same image in a different format, i.e. A2, A4, calanders or even postcard size?

Does the fact that you have made the photo a limited edition also effect future use either in a digital format on a Web Site or entering it into competitions yourself.

Any advice would be welcome.

Dan Arkle 30 Aug 2017
In reply to craig h:

It's always seemed a bit mad to me, why bother? There was a recent case where a collector sued a photographer who printed some more (slightly different) copies.
 defaid 30 Aug 2017
In reply to craig h:
Why make a limited edition?

I can understand numbered lino-cuts or screenprints, or copies run off a press, as the hardware will wear out or be used for a new image, but I struggle to find any reason for limiting hardcopies of photographs whether digital or film.

The question seems to be one of marketplace ethics: I suppose a gullible customer will pay over the odds for the word 'limited'. You have to decide whether or not that matches your morality, and then whether you are happy to stop selling when you've run out of stock but the public wants more.

I should think that a different vehicle or a different medium (calendar print from a press as opposed to the original A3 darkroom print) would be acceptable. I have a numbered Kyffin Williams of the waterfall in the Ogwen Valley and wouldn't sue if I saw the image on a book cover but if I discovered my 55/100 was actually 55/10000 on slightly different paper I'd be pretty p**sed off.

D

edit: you might also consider that you could make more money by selling many cheap prints than you could by selling few expensive prints.
Post edited at 21:45
OP craig h 30 Aug 2017
Cheers Dan and defaid,

Making money wasn't the reason to have them on the wall in the first place, and still isn't to be honest. The owner of the outlet wanted local images for the walls and was happy to provide. It was then the option for sale was suggested and they were keen on the limited edition at the time. I agreed and will stick with it, but retrospectively wouldn't go that way again, and have changed the agreement since.

Just wondering what the limitations are?

Big Ger 31 Aug 2017
In reply to defaid:

> Why make a limited edition?

It's a good selling point.

If you can claim there will only be 5 prints made, then the original images will be destroyed or secreted away, then the print owner has some guaranteed it won't be turning up in every house in the street.,
 defaid 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

That makes sense. I suppose it's difficult to judge at the start how many will sell and so whether or not to push the price up with a limited run.

Craig -- sorry, I didn't realise it wasn't your decision to limit the run. I suppose the main issue would be reaching some agreement with the outlet owner. I'd imagine a different size, finish or frame would be enough to get around any previous customer's objections. I'd suggest asking a solicitor if there's any legal precedent but you'd lose all your profit in the first second.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...