Lightroom pricing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 02 May 2019

Do you think they will make this compulsory?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6541727532/adobe-test-replaces-10-month-photo...

I currently swallow the Lightroom monthly fee, but don't feel that it's great value.  A doubling in price would definitely get me looking at alternatives, although the thought of transferring my catalogue (12,000ish images, mostly tagged with info) doesn't fill me with joy

ChrisJD 02 May 2019
In reply to Sam W:

They are trying to kill the desktop LR-Classic.

It's been brewing for a good while now and they are playing a long game: death by a thousand cuts.

I've got the Annual 20GB plan, paid monthly, so no potential change for me till Sept-2019

Post edited at 20:43
 HeMa 02 May 2019
In reply to Sam W:

I'm not exactly filled with joy either, on where Adobe is going.

For some stuff, cloud is great.  But media management is not one of those.

Too bad, LR doesn't currently have proper competition for real catalog/content management. But a few options are poping up. That being said, I'm not in a great hurry as my LR5 still works fine and supports all them cameras I have (well, not all but that is why I use DNG converter).

Frank R. 02 May 2019
In reply to Sam W:

Your library and metadata should transfer to any decent XMP-aware software just fine, since you sensibly catalogued the files in-place, right  ? (and even if not, you can still write out the metadata back into the files themselves from LR)

Photo Mechanic (used by all the PJs) just came out with its long awaited catalogue feature (Photo Mechanic Plus, currently in public beta), and so far it looks very interesting, especially with huge photo libraries. The price might seem a little steep (it's not, really, if you count the years of upgrades), but they don't use the subscription racket, and their support is world-class. I have been using their previous versions for photo culling for years.

Pair it with a non-subscription photo editor, and you are all set. I am looking forward to ditching Adobe myself.

Post edited at 21:05
 HeMa 03 May 2019
In reply to Frank R.:

So, public beta for Digital Asset Management (DAM) for Photomechanic.

Luminar is seems to be promissing something to be in the pipeline.

Darktable already has something.

Are you, or others aware of other DAM/catalog applications? And no, Adobe Bridge + folders is not proper DAM.

ChrisJD 03 May 2019
In reply to Sam W:

The monthly plan can still be purchased (for now), but they are 'hiding' the option:

Link here:

https://commerce.adobe.com/anyware/checkout/?clientId=adobe_com&country...

ChrisJD 03 May 2019
In reply to Sam W:

If I have to leave LR, will probably go to (back to, used it years ago) Capture-1 Pro (V12 at the moment).

It has DAM as well

Leaving LR is a really daunting task: have 95,000 images (> 2TB with edits etc) in my main cat and 38,000 images in a separate work cat.

Post edited at 09:48
 ScottTalbot 03 May 2019
In reply to Sam W:

Do any of you actually use the Cloud Storage? I have a vague recollection (from years ago), where there was something in the terms allowing Adobe to use your images.. Is that still a thing!?

OP Sam W 03 May 2019
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Never use the cloud storage and don't feel the need.  All photos are stored on laptop, backed up to a Synology NAS, which then backs up to Amazon Glacier, plus a backup to an external hard drive stored in a different room to the NAS.  Can see cloud storage being useful if you have multiple people working on the same set of pictures, but not for a hobbyist photographer.

The current subscription model is ok, although I very rarely use the Photoshop part of it.   I'm sure if I could buy a standalone copy o fLightroom it would work out cheaper for me, even allowing for upgrade every other version.

If Adobe do push this through it's likely to create a critical mass of users looking for other solutions, and justify development of more advanced tools to smooth the migration.  About the only positive I can see at the moment.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 May 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

> They are trying to kill the desktop LR-Classic.

> It's been brewing for a good while now and they are playing a long game: death by a thousand cuts.

Is that true? There are plenty of us who produce gigs of data that we don’t want loading up to the cloud on a daily bases, and that is ignoring the issues of connectivity,

Chris

ChrisJD 03 May 2019
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Adobe's actions speak for themselves.  Losing stand alone, promoting CC, making Classic less obvious, removing the £10/month 20GB

The Lemming 03 May 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Adobe's actions speak for themselves.

Yes they do. I only have the stand-alone Lightroom 5 and use Resolve for my video editing.

I have no desire to pay monthly for something that I will never own.

Post edited at 16:41
 HeMa 03 May 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

Indeed. The good thing, non subscription based alternatives are popping up. Luminar is planning a LR Migration tool in the roadmap, and Darktable already has something like that (or I believe there is a method for that). Also seem to remember, a 3rd alternative. 

Solaris 05 May 2019
In reply to HeMa:

> Also seem to remember, a 3rd alternative. 

Capture 1? Chris mentioned it in a later post. At present, it looks like being what I'll be moving to...

ChrisJD 05 May 2019
In reply to Solaris:

Capture V12 does look great and very LR-alike.

But it's the loss of some/many? of the LR RAW processing settings that stops me moving until forced. 

Solaris 05 May 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

I *think* I've read a discussion about this on the DPreview Fuji pages. The conclusion seemed to be that despite looking as though it doesn't, C1 v12 does allow the same RAW processing as Lr but in a different way.... But you may be looking for more from C1 than that discussion was addressing.

Have you tried the free download? Admittedly, it's not the full C1 Fuji caboodle...

Apologies for hijack, but perhaps this discussion will be of use to others thinking of moving from Lr.

HeMa 05 May 2019
In reply to Solaris:

Nope. Akin to Luminar & Darktable. 

Solaris 05 May 2019
In reply to HeMa:

Ah, OK. Sorry.

Mike_d78 05 May 2019
In reply to Sam W:

I'm watching this with interest as well. I currently have the 20gb £10/month Lightroom, which I'm very happy with. Particularly that i cam view all my photos on my mobile or tablet, which is great for culling and allowed my to ditch Flickr for photo storage (back up). I doubt I'll get good value from the 1tb £20/month version though.  

I'm in a similar position to Chrisjd but my subscription ends in November.

I don't think any other products offer mobile viewing of photos?

Post edited at 21:18
 SouthernSteve 05 May 2019
In reply to Sam W:

I do hope that they are not going to double the price for Adobe Creative Cloud as well - £43 plus VAT a month is only just worth it, although compared to the offering above it is very good value!

Smelly Fox 05 May 2019
In reply to Sam W:

This is a bit of a hijack... sorry about that...

I’m using lightroom 6 at the moment, stand-alone with no monthly fee. Are the current features worth upgrading to, or will I be fine with what I’ve got? I’m only asking really as I’m about to invest in a photoshop license, probably, for my nightsky shots, and they do the photo package thing with the latest lightroom too for a bit more money.

HeMa 06 May 2019
In reply to Smelly Fox:

Considering I'm still using LR5, I'd say no...

But when you add PS to the mix, then the cloud might be well worth it.

That being said, are you sure you need PS for them night shots?

Smelly Fox 06 May 2019
In reply to HeMa:

It’s more of a want than a need, but I’d like to start getting more into composite images and very long exposures, so I’d quite like it.

HeMa 06 May 2019
In reply to Smelly Fox:

For photo-stacking, there are apps specific for that. Composite images can be also done with Gimp.

But yeah, PS is prolly the easiest and can be handy for other stuff.

I good Adobe alternative (if you do not see the need for the new features in LR CC) would be to source a 2nd hand license for the last non CC based PS (so CS6) from egay or something. That's what I did with my LR copy.

ChrisJD 06 May 2019
In reply to Solaris:

Sorry, I meant when transferring an existing LR-Cat to C1.  Some of the LR RAW settings don't translate to equivalent settings in C1

No doubt that C1 is actually more powerful as a RAW processor than LR.

Post edited at 09:42
 Smelly Fox 06 May 2019
In reply to HeMa:

Good tips thanks, I’ll look on fleabay.

Post edited at 10:02
 Smelly Fox 06 May 2019
In reply to HeMa:

Although a quick look at the prices on there makes other programs look way more appealing!

HeMa 06 May 2019
In reply to Smelly Fox:

It depends...

I seem to recall I paid like 10 quid for my LR licence key. Seem to recall seen PS go for more or less the same.

Solaris 06 May 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

Ah, got it. That's a real nuisance. But if it were me, transferring to C1 would at least compel me to stop fiddling with my images, convert to TIFF, export and have done with it!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...