Leonids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Valentine 17 Nov 2018

I know the moon is a bit of a problem and the predicted rate isn't all that good but I would welcome any tips about catching some on camera.

Assuming 100 ASA setting, for instance.

Howard J 18 Nov 2018
In reply to Tom Valentine:

The usual way to capture meteor trails is to point the camera (on a mount) at the radiant point and lock the shutter open.  Meteors are too random and are over far too quickly for you to expect to get your camera onto them when they happen.

OP Tom Valentine 18 Nov 2018
In reply to Howard J:

I understand about time exposures but was wondering about exposure length. I've seen plenty of meteor shots which dont show star rotation so from what I've read they must have been less than half a minute. 

Probably just down to luck.

Not that it mattered at 4 a.m. this morning, anyway   

Robert Durran 18 Nov 2018

> Not that it mattered at 4 a.m. this morning, anyway   

I was biviing high in the Cuillin last night. Amazing stars and plenty of meteors including a couple of proper big fiery ones

Post edited at 16:11
 CasWebb 18 Nov 2018

For my star shots I tend to use ISO1600 and 25 sec exposures at F4 (lowest my lens will go). Minimal star rotation is visible at that but anything moving quickly shows up as a clear trail. 

In reply to Robert Durran

I envy you.

The ' 98 (?) Leonid displays was one of life's greatest experiences for me. The hourly rate might not have been the highest but when they did come ---WOW!

I took a nap break around 3 am  and some were so bright they were lighting up the bedroom wall like car headlights

jethro kiernan 18 Nov 2018

20-30 seconds iso 1600 will give minimal star trails

yorkshireman 18 Nov 2018

> I understand about time exposures but was wondering about exposure length. I've seen plenty of meteor shots which dont show star rotation so from what I've read they must have been less than half a minute. 

> Probably just down to luck.

It depends on the focal length you're shooting at. The 500 rule is what you need.

https://petapixel.com/2015/01/06/avoid-star-trails-following-500-rule/

In reply to yorkshireman:

thanks to both you and jk.

slim chance tonight is better than none

Toerag 19 Nov 2018

Use the widest lens you have or you'll miss loads or have them half out the frame. Put your camera out in the cold beforehand to reduce heat-induced long exposure noise.

Jon Read 19 Nov 2018
In reply to Toerag:

... but keep the battery warm until you need it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...