lens problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 09 Mar 2017
I was out yesterday with the camera and took a couple of pictures with my Nikon 85mm 1.8D prime I was going through the pictures and the ones taken with the 85mm look like they have been taken with a cheap 10 year old digital compact, soft, really bad chromatic aberration in fact every thing this lens shouldn't be.
Any thoughts what the problem might be, its probably going to be a couple of weeks before i can visit the camera shop for them to have a look at it, I'm going to shoot a few more test shots, I'm hopping this isn't going to be terminal or expensive.
 Murderous_Crow 09 Mar 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Sounds as if an element has come loose. Does it rattle?

Luke
 AllanMac 09 Mar 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

The CA along with the softness suggests the lens is or may have become de-centred, which is when one or more of the glass elements has moved out of alignment.

Have you only just bought it?

Has the lens been knocked or dropped?

De-centring is an all too common problem, even with new lenses.

De-centring can be repaired either by Nikon or an independent repairer with an optical bench. Could be expensive though.
In reply to AllanMac:

Ive had the lens for a while with no problem, my stuff isn't always treated with kid gloves but it hasn't been noticeably knocked, there is a slight rattle coming from the lens so looks like a trip to Cambrian for me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...