Lens jammed on camera body

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My 18-105 Nikon lens will not release from my D7100 camera body and the metering is very strange. It has not been knocked and just happened between taking 2 pictures. I am taking it to a Nikon repairer but has anyone else had something similar occur and can give me an idea of cost?
 Garbhanach 27 Feb 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe: I have never had this problem a search on the web with lens locking pin stuck produced some links, one person held the camera with the lens pointing up and the release button depressed while they gently rotated the lens each way till the pin released some links here

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=42046

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lens+locking+pin+jammed+on++nikon+d7100+c...

In reply to Garbhanach:
Thanks for this - I had read one of these links but not the other. In it was reference to the autofocus drive pin. I tried to examine the mounts to locate it and noticed that there was some play that allowed me to see both pins retract thus eliminating them as the problem. So I tried pulling the lens away from the body gently while I released the pins. The lens came off along with a small arc of plastic. The mount had broken and the piece had stopped it releasing. So I now have a recovered camera and a lens that I can either have repaired or replace. A point to note is that this lens has a plastic mount - all my other lenses have alloy mounts. Something to look out for in future purchases.
 Garbhanach 28 Feb 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe: Glad you got it sorted, could have been very disappointing if it happened on a trip, never had a lens stuck on the camera though appears to happen with even the alloy mounts.

In reply to Garbhanach:
It seems that the most common jamming issue relates to location or drive pins as in the posts you referred to. I have now found several reports of broken plastic mounts causing the problem I had. On the positive side it also seems that there is a replacement bayonet mount made in metal alloy which I will try and get for my damaged lens.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...