Landscape photo of the year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nniff 12 Aug 2022

Some years ago,  a landscape photo of, I think, the Julian Alps, won a prize - it was one of those with rows of golden saw-edged mountains.  The thing which was remarkable from my perspective was that it was an enlargement of a very small part of a far bigger image taken from a hut balcony.  There was an short article about the crop - I've hunted high and low - no joy - does this ring any bells with anyone - grateful for a steer....

In reply to nniff:

I remember a photo in Slovenia and the article which explained where part of the photo was enlarged, but would not the same if it was golden mountains in my memory. The overall scene was mountains, possible under sun, but the enlargement was taken from the far distance of the scene and was a very misty one of mountain ridges. It was beautiful, surreal, and technically incredible to be enlarged from a small part of the whole.

Do you know the year (roughly) as I may (a long shot to be honest) still have the article and photo in my mind as I’m thinking it is in one of the magazines I’ve still got? If not I’ll try and see if I can narrow it down.

Post edited at 19:23
In reply to nniff:

Thanks to UKC here is the article/photo I remember - https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2011/01/ukcer_wins_outdoor_photography_mag_... .

Other than the likes of Getty Images for the photo, the UKC website is the only one I could find that has the article with photos and background still available. The OPOTY website archive does not seem to exist online from that era any more, and I couldn’t even find the photographer’s own website to be active.

Could this be the one?

Mal Grey 13 Aug 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I remember that. Absolutely wonderful image. A little ambiguous as to whether he "zoomed in" or "cropped in". Doesn't matter a jot.

His photo below in that article, of a scrambler, is also remarkable.

JCurrie 13 Aug 2022
In reply to nniff:

I’m pretty sure it is a zoom rather than a crop.

The first photo with the rectangle is described as a wide angle, whilst the winning image itself was taken with a 310mm lens according to the data under the shot.

Fantastic capture regardless, as are the other examples.

Robert Durran 13 Aug 2022

> Thanks to UKC here is the article/photo I remember - https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2011/01/ukcer_wins_outdoor_photography_mag_... .

Entertaining thread too!

In reply to Robert Durran:

Ha ha, UKC style of thread!

Duncan, the photographer, summed it up with “Everyone has different tastes so there is no way of predicting what will do well. It's what I feel a marmite shot, you either love it or hate it but it has been well received in photography forums & groups etc. Personally, I like the Lone Rock Scrambler best... but it's all down to personal choice I guess.”

I liked it at the time and still like it. I couldn’t take such good shots then nor even now.

OP nniff 15 Aug 2022

Sorry to have gone quiet - bene away - that's the one I was looking for - thank you very much!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...