JPEG only and sensor size

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ian Carey 04 May 2020

Hi,

I'm in the process of changing my camera, with which I only intend to shoot JPEG.
I am currently confused about the benefits of sensor size, so hoping for some advice from UKC - is a large sensor an advantage when shooting JPEG only.
I currently use a Fuji X100T. It is a lovely camera, but I find it a bit too slow to use when in awkward positions, such as climbing, being on my bike or holding onto a yacht that is heeled over in strong winds.
I often find that I accidently move the exposure compensation dial, but I don't notice till after the shot!
I store and edit via Google Photos, sharing some with friends and family, mainly via Facebook.
I don't think I will ever get into using RAW files. I like the advantage of being able to share photos quickly and easily, often using an SD card reader and my mobile phone.
So, my question is, should I be concerned about sensor size when looking for my next camera?
At this stage my main criteria are a good lens, robust construction and ease of use - basically a quality 'point & shoot'.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Robert Durran 04 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

Your Fuji X100 actually has a pretty big sensor for a compact(ish) camera. If you go for a bigger sensor, you may see some minor benefits in low light especially, but I suspect you would probably be looking at either a bigger camera or a bigger price. 

jethro kiernan 04 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

Either stick with Fuji (good JPEGs) or look at something smaller like an Olympus micro 4/3. The main benefit of a larger sensor will be lost without raw manipulation and a decent editing program (Lightroom)

The Lemming 04 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

My two pence advice would probably be on your budget for another camera.

The more money that you have to throw at a camera then the more options you have for sensor size. Don't get caught out in the marketing war of more pixels = better images especially on smaller sized camera sensors, because its a myth/lie. Too many pixels in relation to the physical size of the sensor actually makes the final image look worse.

And depending on what camera you go for a micro four thirds camera/sensor can compete with a full-frame camera/sensor. However if you only intend to shoot JPEG then maybe a full-frame camera would be overkill. It would be like buying a Bentley as a run-about town car. If I could afford a Bentley then I'd get one for Willey Waving rights.

Alpenglow 04 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

If you don't want to change lenses then get something like a Sony RX100 series, or Canon G5X etc.

If you want to change lenses, get something like an Olympus E-M10 Mk2 with 14-42mm (currently £430), or Panasonic GX80 with 12-32mm (currently £370), or a Fuji A/X-something with 15-45mm.

WIth jpeg files you won't see that much of a difference with sensor size. Both Olympus and Fuji are known to have good jpeg outputs. If you don't shoot RAW then I doubt you'll want to lug a huge full-frame camera and lens around.

Check camerapricebuster.co.uk for cheapest prices.

Marek 04 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

Short answer is: "no".

Unless you expect to be shooting in poor light (dawn/night/dusk/indoors) - that's when a bigger sensor shows significant benefit. I've got a micro 4/3 system (Panasonic G9) and a full-frame (Canon 6d with fast lenses) and there's no comparison in carrying ease (G9) and low-light performance (6d). Different beast for different jobs.

LucaC 05 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

How about a Sony A series: you can get an A6000 with a 16-50mm lens for about £300. Reasonable in body jpg and a selection of profiles to choose from, and you can send straight to a smartphone via wifi. The newer 6000 series cameras are all slightly 'better' but you can pick one which fits your budget. 

galpinos 05 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

I'm a bit baffled by your question to be honest. You have a quality point and shoot now with a great lens and sensor, that's easy to use and Fuji have some of the best out of camera jpegs around. What is it you want to change? What do you mean by slow, the lens is F2? Do you mean the autofocus?

I have a Sony RX100 and Fuji X-T1 (same sensor as your X100 and if I put a 23mm F2 on it, pretty much the same performance) and the only reason I would take the Sony is I can carry it over my shoulder whilst climbing/leading routes. The X-T1 is better in every respect. You have the equivalent of most APS-C/MFT cameras, just with a fixed lens. I would love an X100 as my out and about camera and with the right case for climbing would use it over my RX100 I imagine.

Regarding the exposure comp dial, you can either just look to see if you've knocked it or add an o-ring to give it more resistance so harder to turn. It's an R-06 O-ring (10mm inner diameter x 1.5mm thickness) for the exposure comp dial.

Re RAW, you can shoot in "JPEG and RAW", allowing a quick upload to social media of the jpeg (in a lovely Fuji Classic Chrome or Velvia....) and then you can have a play with the RAW later. I started off shooting just in JPEG but as I've gt better (in my opinion, or maybe just I know more now and think I've got better) there are a few photos I'd have liked to have had a RAW file of to sort out a couple of issues I made when taking the photo initially.

Also, to get your photos onto your phone, Fuji have an app you can do wireless image transfer of jpegs from camera to phone, it also allows you to use your phone as a remote trigger/screen. it's not the best app but does well enough.

ChrisJD 05 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

>At this stage my main criteria are a good lens, robust construction and ease of use - basically a quality 'point & shoot'.

A Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II, or the more expensive G7 X MkII, should suit you down to the ground.

Always impressed by the jpg my mate takes with his. 

1.0" CMOS sensor, so a bit bigger than most compacts. 

Elldel 06 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

If you're after a quality point and shoot, try this link...

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-compact-zoom-cameras?utm_s...

Ian Carey 07 May 2020
In reply to galpinos:

Some great advice, thanks. Will give the ‘O’ ring a go as I do find I accidentally move the exposure comp dial a lot!

By slow I mean that processes of getting it out, turning it on, etc. Once out it is fast to focus, etc. 

I tend to carry it over my shoulder in a soft case. When climbing, especially in winter, I find it just gets in the way and can cause a lot of faff.

The Fuji X100T is a lovely camera and fairly small, but for me, it just a bit too messy for active fun. I really admire the climbers who lug big camera around and take fantastic shots.

I won’t give up on it just yet (not much active fun at the moment😷), but some of the camera suggestions are worth exploring.

cheers, Ian

ChrisJD 11 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

The Canon G9 X Mark II is currently £282 on Amazon Warehouse deals

Blue Straggler 13 May 2020
In reply to Ian Carey:

sounds like the slowness is due to the case and the way you carry it. 

I don’t know your camera model but can you leave it turned on all the time and it goes into power save after a few minutes then you just need to press the shutter release for a faster response (what I do with my Canon dSLR although not climbing), and look at different case options like Camera Armour? 

Durbs 14 May 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yeah - Unless you've just got GAS, I'd look at switching how you shoot, not what you shoot with.

Look at something like a Peak Design capture clip, and/or clutch with quick connector strap.

Even with my camera which is a bit bigger (Sony A7R2, usually with an 85mm lens), I can have it clipped to waist-belt on a rucksack, or shoulder strap if I need it more out the way. Instantly available, very quick to stow back again and very secure, with the option of locking it if you're super paranoid.

It genuinely changed the way I shoot compared to any other camera gear.

Blue Straggler 14 May 2020
In reply to Durbs:

> Yeah - Unless you've just got GAS, I'd look at switching how you shoot, not what you shoot with.

I just had to check what GAS was! I thought you were on about my digestion! 

Durbs 14 May 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Heh, it's affliction not entirely unique to photographers, but they seem to suffer it the most.

Also, didn't really mean to reply to you - just agreeing with you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...