Is my Lightroom playing up?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 31 May 2020

I have a little Time-lapse project where I took 5,300 RAW images, converted them to DGN files and imported the DGN files into Lightroom.

I then did a bit of titillation with levels, contrast, a bit of sharpening and cropping to 16 x 9 ratio. The DGN files are about 15Mb and the resultant JPEG exported files are around 10-11Mb in size.

My problem is that the export is taking a very long time and about 13 seconds per image. Its taken me a couple of hours to convert roughly 950 images and I still have roughly 4,500 more to go.

Should it really take 13 seconds to export a DGN to JPEG?

My desktop is quite competent with a 12 core processor and a mix of SSD and NVMe drives running Windows 10

Post edited at 22:26
OP The Lemming 01 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Ten hours later and Lightroom is still exporting JPEGS with 2,000 images to go.

Surely this isn't normal?

LucaC 01 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Are the files on your computer or the cloud?

ianstevens 01 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Sounds like its chugging along and actually doing them. I'd just wait it out personally.

In reply to ianstevens:

This is going to take ages. Hopefully the time-lapse will be worth it.

I've taken in excess of 20,000 frames so far.

ianstevens 01 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Another 10 hours? Hopefully you'll get something good out of it, fingers crossed for you.

On top of the processor/hard drive, Lightroom is also pretty RAM heavy IIRC? Could be the bottleneck?

Toerag 01 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

1) Is this normal behaviour, or has it got worse?

2) what does task manager say the machine is doing? Is it using all the logical processors? Is the disk activity or RAM maxxed out?

3) I assume this is a bulk job i.e. you've chosen your titillation steps and are now applying them to every single image? So your machine is taking a DNG, titillating it, resizing it and exporting it, then doing the same for the next?  How long does this take per file if you were doing, say, 10 files? Is 13 seconds per file slow? (I don't use lightroom so I don't know).

In reply to ianstevens:

> On top of the processor/hard drive, Lightroom is also pretty RAM heavy IIRC? Could be the bottleneck?

I got 64Gb RAM and its chugging along at 20% of RAM. My CPU is ticking over at 15% and my SSD is at 1% speeds.

No bottlenecks, hardware wise. But I have never experienced 12-13 seconds per JPEG export times before.

In reply to The Lemming:

The real powerhog, is converting the RAW files to DGN files with Adobe file converter.

That thing maxes out my 12 cores at 100% and sends my SSD to 100%.

And I'm doing both tasks at the same time because I'm impatient.

ianstevens 01 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> The real powerhog, is converting the RAW files to DGN files with Adobe file converter.

> That thing maxes out my 12 cores at 100% and sends my SSD to 100%.

> And I'm doing both tasks at the same time because I'm impatient.

Suspect that's your answer - quite a bit going on in those 12-13 seconds!

In reply to ianstevens:

> Suspect that's your answer - quite a bit going on in those 12-13 seconds!

I may be confusing matters. I just started the conversion minutes ago. Both tasks have not been going on all night.

In reply to The Lemming:

Problem detected, possibly solved.

I rebooted my computer which took longer than expected and started the export process. Now its chugging along at a JPEG per second. Much better.

Now what was hogging my computer?

Hope I'm not infected.

HeMa 02 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> Now what was hogging my computer?

Do you by any change use Chrome? It's has been (and still) is a memory hog with a tendency for memory leaks (so eats away all your RAM+cache).

Some other Antivirus etc. apps have the same kind of behavior (hudge memory hog in the background). 

OP The Lemming 02 Jun 2020
In reply to HeMa:

I use Firefox because I don't like Chrome too much as its a hog. Task Manager does not hint at anything eating up my RAM. The problem seems to get worse the longer I leave Lightroom and my PC turned on. If I reboot, then the problem vanishes.

Weird.

HeMa 02 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

If reboot helps. Then something is indeed hoghing up memory/cache. 

In reply to HeMa:

Time to wipe clean and reinstall the OS.

Smelly Fox 02 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Why bother converting to DNG? I never do that anymore.

Toerag 02 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

>  Now what was hogging my computer?

For me the similar hog with minimal/no apparent CPU/memory/disc usage is either windows update checker or malicious software removal tool. They grind the whole thing to a halt and I need to go off and have a cuppa.

In reply to Smelly Fox:

> Why bother converting to DNG? I never do that anymore.

My version of Lightroom 5 does not recognise my new camera's RAW images. And I am not paying a monthly sub to Adobe when I have a perfect app doing its job.

Mike-W-99 02 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

What virus scanner (if any) do you use. 

In reply to Mike-W-99:

Bitdefender

Mike-W-99 02 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> Bitdefender

Not Mcafee then which is what caused us grief at work(it does very weird things at times). If its was fixed by a reboot then maybe a rogue process but without seeing the performance graphs etc its hard to tell.

Post edited at 21:52
 Smelly Fox 02 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Yeah, fair one. Although from what you’ve described, it’s clearly not perfect. Good luck.

Frank R. 03 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Lightroom?

Seriously, last time I tried a huge batch operation, it had some bugs when working with big sets of files. And you are using an older version.

Check your startup disk free space when you next do a big convert in Lightroom. There was this bug in PS & LR where it would write invisible temporary files into a really well hidden system folder (even when it was configured to use another drive as cache and temp location!) and it would hog up all the space on the startup drive. Only reboot helped.

That bug would not be much noticeable in normal operation, but when doing really intensive batches (like multiple merges to HDR), suddenly tens of gigabytes would "vanish" from the startup drive, even filling it completely, until full reboot.

I saw that bug in later versions, so it might be worth a check?

OP The Lemming 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Frank R.:

Good to know.

Cheers

Frank R. 03 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Just to be clear, I encountered that bug several years ago. It might have been fixed already, or it might not have been on Windows in the first place. I can't even check since I no longer subscribe to Adobe. But back then it baffled me completely 

Adam Long 08 Jun 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Been a few years, but I'm pretty sure you can cut this stage out by exporting direct to video via the slideshow module. Might need a custom preset you can download, e.g 

http://lightroom-blog.com/2013/09/17/timelapse-again-in-lightroom-5-2/

Post edited at 20:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...