If you use Flickr for free - you must read this

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ChrisJD 03 Nov 2018

Big changes coming to Flickr free accounts:

https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead

craig h 03 Nov 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

It's far better than what Photobucket imposed about 2 years ago, that was just pure ransom of people who had used that site as a 3rd party host for their images. Many websites have never recovered and so much historical data has been lost due to the user not wanting to pay $200 a year they were after. May they rot in hell.

Flickr have doubled their annual fee, still brings water to my eyes, but less than a £ a week! Something I'll have to think about as to whether it's worthwhile keeping with a Pro account, but still find it a useful tool for photo sales.

Climbpsyched 03 Nov 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks for sharing! 

In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks for the head up.

pasbury 04 Nov 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

Pretty sure they’ve written their own epitaph.

The Lemming 04 Nov 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

I'm still a free user, hopefully I should be ok.

In reply to The Lemming:

If you have more than 1000 photos, you'll start to get stuff deleted next year. You look to have fewer than that in your public albums.

Siward 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Surely if one has 1000+ photos on Flickr then that's pretty heavy use and it's probably worth the upgrade. It's also quite likely that at least two thirds of them could be deleted without feeling the loss

BrendanO 04 Nov 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks for heads-up.

To be fair, they aren't a charity. And this is MUCH MUCH better than what Ph@t@bucket did, which as other posters said has ruined a lot of other forums.

TobyA 04 Nov 2018
In reply to Siward:

When they announced the TB of free storage I set up my phone so that all photos were backed up onto flickr once I was connected to wifi, so I have lot photos there. I'm sure well over a 1000 too (just checked 5,922!). So I'm now going to have download them all and store them somewhere else I suppose.

I can see their argument that people using the site for storage is different from how it was first set up, but I'm sure they advertised the 1TB thing back in 2013 as "forever, for free" so it's annoying that they are going back on that (I'm sure in the T&Cs it said somewhere that actually forever and free until they change their mind, so I'm not making a legal claim, just a moral one!).

OP ChrisJD 04 Nov 2018
In reply to craig h:

Been a Pro user for years, so not really affected by this and its still cheaper than hosting your own site for sharing with family/friends.  Have >16,000 images uploaded.

But to go from 1TB free to 1,000 images is a big change.

Post edited at 14:24
 Andy Johnson 04 Nov 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

They announced this on Thursday and I found out about the change because someone posted the announcement to a tech forum that I use. Otherwise, I wouldn't have know about it. I haven't had an email from Flickr regarding this. Has anyone here had any communication?

Regarding the change itself: I think its probably necessary for Flickr to survive, and I plan to upgrade to pro over the next few weeks. Social photo hosting (Facebook, Google, etc.) is a commodity now - so their only real option is to go back to paid plans for people with a non-trivial interest in photography. I suspect was SmugMug's post-acquisition plan for Flickr all along. Continuing to get everyone a terrabyte so that a significant number of users can store their cat photos for free is just not sustainable.

Post edited at 15:22
In reply to Andy Johnson:

In fairness to Flickr it was well signposted on the site when I visited it today.

T.

OP ChrisJD 04 Nov 2018

Cynic in me says its obvious that Yahoo knew that Flickr was in trouble, so they gave the free 1 TB a go to get member numbers up ready for the sell-off.

Andy Johnson 04 Nov 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

The 1TB storage allowance was introduced in May 2013. I'm sure they did it because they were trying to get more people to register, but the idea that it was in anticipation of a sale might be giving them too much credit. This is Yahoo we're talking about.

OP ChrisJD 04 Nov 2018

too true

Was it THAT long ago, lol. Time flies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...