iCloud storage?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 13 Mar 2020

Does anyone use iCloud and pay for extra storage , particularly for photos but for other stuff such as videos, music etc too? I’m starting to do more photo editing using Affinity Photo for iPad and can see the attraction. Of not filling my iPad, accessing files from my phone and also MS based laptop. Is it any good? good value? 

HeMa 13 Mar 2020
In reply to kevin stephens:

I have the 200 gig set. IMHO not a bad price, sure there are cheaper options but with numerous Apple devices the iCloud certainly works.

For the Record, I was comparing Dropbox and iCloud. Had I more non apple devices, would I prolly have picked Dropbox

Iamgregp 13 Mar 2020

Yeah I pay for the 50gb option.  Backs up seamlessly from apple devices also you don’t really have to think about it and costs literally pennies.

There are other cheaper options, you can find storage out there for less than a penny per gig but hardly worth shopping around for such small amounts.

Post edited at 18:53

I’ve been using it since it started. Have the 50gb option, and it’s so seamless I hardly notice I’ve actually got it. Recommended.

Thanks all. Present climate will free up time getting more into photo stuff.

Blue Straggler 14 Mar 2020
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Seamless in normal operation but I had to replace the bank card that is linked to it, due to a lost wallet, and now they can’t take my money and are giving me notices about that but the system seems to have a bug or glitch because when I try to amend the details, it all crashes (well it reverts to “page 1”). Tried via iPhone, MacBook Pro and Dell laptop. All failed 

HeMa 14 Mar 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I changed mine like a year ago. No problems with that, seem to recall I used my iPad or iPhone for it. 

Graeme G 14 Mar 2020

Have you not phoned Apple Support? I’ve always found there support to be excellent. I’d have an ieverything if I could.

MtnGeekUK 14 Mar 2020

Google photos has unlimited photo storage for free. iOS app will auto sync to your account.

We use one account across multiple devices and have passed 40,000 photos.

Mike-W-99 14 Mar 2020
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Looks like that compresses photos bigger than 16mp unless you pay for extra storage though?

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroi...

In reply to Graeme G:

No and I did mean to acknowledge this in my post so as not to look like I was just mindlessly attacking Apple. Sure I will get it sorted but it doesn’t change the fact that there is still a bug in there 

Tom W 14 Mar 2020

I had something very similar, but after I did a software update on both phone and MacBook it worked. 

In reply to Tom W:

My phone iOS is up to date. Obviously my next step is to call Apple Support 

The Lemming 14 Mar 2020

Why not create your own iCloud with a home NAS that you can connect to from anywhere in the world?

A one off fee for the hardware, you own the kit and don't have to worry about a company deleting your stuff should you fail to pay.

Just a thought.

NathanP 15 Mar 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

The argument against a home NAS is that it doesn't give you off-site back-up and is vulnerable to the same fire, flood and theft threat as all your other devices.

In reply to HeMa:

I (a Mac user) use Dropbox rather than iCloud simply because files can easily be shared with PC-users, and is thus the preferred option in the publishing world.

The Lemming 15 Mar 2020
In reply to NathanP:

> The argument against a home NAS is that it doesn't give you off-site back-up and is vulnerable to the same fire, flood and theft threat as all your other devices.

Put the NAS in a friend's house and reciprocate the gesture?

Now off site

HeMa 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Yup. But I only need to keep *my* devices synced.

And yes, I do have also Dropbox and Gdrive to host some other stuff (mainly to distribute or access from other equipment than own).

Blue Straggler 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Are there aspects of iCloud that are incompatible with PCs? Admittedly I really only use it for downloading photos taken on my iPhone but this is straightforward on my work Dell PC 

HeMa 15 Mar 2020

To an extent. With GDrive/Dropbox, you can have a folder on yer comp (Mac or PC or...) that get’s automatically synced to the cloud. This works only with Macs and iCloud.

Also as pointed above, sharing stuff is a bit limited with iCloud.

Root1 16 Mar 2020

Thanks for all this chaps, I never knew it was so cheap. So have signed up for the 50gb option.

> Are there aspects of iCloud that are incompatible with PCs? Admittedly I really only use it for downloading photos taken on my iPhone but this is straightforward on my work Dell PC 

The main point is that the use of Dropbox in publishing is so widespread as to be almost universal, and the last thing one wants to do as an author is make life more difficult.

Blue Straggler 19 Mar 2020

> Seamless in normal operation but I had to replace the bank card that is linked to it, due to a lost wallet, and now they can’t take my money and are giving me notices about that but the system seems to have a bug or glitch because when I try to amend the details, it all crashes (well it reverts to “page 1”). Tried via iPhone, MacBook Pro and Dell laptop. All failed 

In the end, before I got around to actually contacting Apple, they informed me my iCloud was full, which effectively meant they'd cut it from 50Gb to 5Gb due to non-payment (although I didn't see anything deleted!), and THIS enabled me to finally go in and change the payment details. I was half-waiting for this, to be honest, as I did see someone post on a thread about the same issue, saying they did the same and it was fine. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...