How do you make a portfolio?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 10 Nov 2018

I haven't made or had a portfolio since 1987, and I'm betting times have changed.

What would a modern day portfolio look and consist of?

Would it be digital or on a laptop plugged into a TV/monitor?

I may be applying for a secondment and I don't want to rock up with a couple of links to YouTube and Flickr, or is that the way to go?

It's for multi media.

Luke90 10 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Surely having a website to showcase your work is the way to go. Video could be hosted on YouTube and then embedded in the site.

I'm not sure what the best option is for bringing anything with you when you show up in person. Presumably interviews for those kinds of jobs will tell you what options will be available for presenting. If they don't, you could probably just ask what they would like. If you've linked to your website on your CV/application and they're taking you seriously then they must have looked at it already.

Luke90 10 Nov 2018
 HeMa 10 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

A website showcasing some of your work.

And perhaps a printed special one to show at the interview, If about shooting stills. For multimedia & videowork, perhaps something similar but on your tablet (and perhaps password protected online hosting).

ChrisJD 10 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Use the Showcase feature on Flickr?

OP The Lemming 10 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Thank you everybody. I shall follow all your advice and suggestions.

Cheers

OP The Lemming 27 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm back again, asking for some more advice.  I now know that I have to create a Showreel and having never seen or made one before, I ventured onto Youtube, the font of all knowledge. :-/

Anyhow, if anybody has any experience of creating or critiqueing Showreels I'd appreciate your guidance on my attempt.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ng4opafStOo&

Takein 28 Nov 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Hey I review these things a lot. You absolutely need to separate the photography from the film. You need to keep the film short and the edit punchy (60s to 75s would be plenty), use Vimeo over YouTube, introduce an opening and/or closing title with your details. Search 'Showreel' on Vimeo. There are dozens of exceptional examples that will give you insights into how the pros present themselves. Still photographs should not be in your showreel. They need to be presented in a static online folio possibly with some context/comment around the shots. You should use Flickr (or Behance). Post links to both your Vimeo and Flickr page on photography forums and you should receive some constructive feedback. DM me if you want more advice. Good luck.

OP The Lemming 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Takein:

Some excellent advice there and I will follow up on it. As for the image, the interview panel want them in there.

Once I have opening and closing titles, do you think I have got the right flavor of a showreel including time wise/length?

Cheers

OP The Lemming 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Takein:

You have mail.

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...