How do you carry your SLR on both Rock and Alpine routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 betathief 21 Jun 2017
Hi,

I would like to take my SLR on routes to get better quality photos, although not sure how to carry it to have it at hand. Usually use a point and shoot, which is simply slung in a pocket or attached by a sling. Would like it to be protected, but also would need to be as light weight as possible I'm already crap at climbing and adding more weight wont make me any better!

Would like to hear your suggestions as new to this photography thing!

Thanks!
 alexm198 21 Jun 2017
In reply to betathief:

I keep mine (Canon 750D) in one of these http://store.lowepro.com/toploader-zoom-45-aw-ii

I have an old chalk bag belt which I thread through the belt loop on the case, and then clip the camera pouch around my waist. I then clip a biner from one gear loop through one of the plastic eyelets on the pouch in case the belt fails. I keep meaning to use 2mm or 3mm cord to attach the camera body to the other eyelet, too.
 Toerag 21 Jun 2017
In reply to betathief:

I have my E-M5 on a neck strap and run it over one shoulder when I'm doing via ferrata. That keeps it close enough to my chest to stop it smashing into things. This would be a problem if climbing, but I guess I could slide it around to my back.
In reply to betathief:

https://www.peakdesign.com

I use kit from this company. Not the cheapest but truly amazing stuff and worth every penny.
Their straps are versatile as they are fully adjustable and multi-positional. Couple a leash or 'Slide' strap with their 'Capture Clip' which goes on to your harness or rucksack strap and the system is fool proof and keeps your camera exactly where you want it all of the time... no swinging around off your shoulder at the wrong moment or dangling in the air banging around.
In reply to betathief:

youtube.com/watch?v=z_ktKn6BvBM&

This youtube clip shows Peak Design stuff in use during this vid of the first ascent:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=451336
Post edited at 16:15
In reply to betathief:

"Lowepro Dashpoint 30" fits (snugly) our EOS100D with EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lens, has 2 handy attachment loops for mini-biners, and sits nicely inside a helmet in the rucksack.
 planetmarshall 21 Jun 2017
In reply to A Random Climber:

> I use kit from this company. Not the cheapest but truly amazing stuff and worth every penny.

I have one of their clip attachments for my EM-10 and find it a bit impractical for actual climbing if it's mounted on the front of the body eg on a rucksack strap. A simple bag slung around the waist on a bit of cord is what I use currently.

The peak design system works a bit better if you're on a ridge or similar, but tbh I find the device somewhat over engineered.
 Sean Kelly 21 Jun 2017
In reply to betathief:

There is a rubber shell that fits Nikon, Cannon, and protects the camera to some extent if you carry the camera across your shoulder. I'm sure somebody on here will post a link?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...