How Do You Carry Your Camera For Winter Climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Quick question folks. 

I've been experimenting  the last few years when winter climbing with the best ways to keep my camera accessible. I used to climb with the camera on my harness, but was proving a faff to get it out quickly for those quick action shots. 

Atm I walk in with the camera on a PD capture plate on my pack before swapping it to the lid of the pack when climbing begins and only getting it out when time permits. I keep a smaller camera in my chest pocket to shoot on the fly when needed quickly.

I use a mirrorless Olympus (4/3) EM1 MKIII with 8-25mm lens which is light, weather sealed and takes great quality stills and video. Never taken an SLR out. 

Want to know what you folks do out there?

Fiona Reid 15 Feb 2022
In reply to Alexander_Metcalfe:

My camera lives in a Lowepro Rezo 30 case which is either clipped to my harness or rucksack waist strap. I added a wee loop of cord to the case so I could attach it to any harness or sack loop as some sacks have too wide a waist loop for the case.

The camera also has a bit of bungee cord (3 or 4mm) attached to its own strap thingy and the other end gets clipped to my sack (or harness if not wearing a sack) with a small snap link. 

That way I can take the camera out, not worry about dropping it, take a quick photo and if necessary it can be left to dangle until such point as I can safely pop it away.  It's an old waterproof Canon Powershot D10 thus doesn't matter if it gets wet. 

Post edited at 20:24
 planetmarshall 15 Feb 2022

I have an Olympus EM5 and wear it in a crumpler pouch on some ab tat around my waist. The camera itself is attached to a retractable tether attached to my harness.

In reply to planetmarshall:

Love the EM5. The MKII was a solid piece of gear. Never let me down in jungle, desert or tundra.

SteveJC94 15 Feb 2022

I've been using a Fuji X-E1 with a 16-50mm lens for a few years, stored in a Crumpler Jimmy Bo 200. Depending on the amount of rack on my harness (or if I'm wearing a rucksack), I'll either clip the strap round my waist or diagonally over a shoulder. Seems to work fairly well. 

I'll tend to have it round my waist on the walk-in so it's easy to access for shots on the fly. 

A9 15 Mar 2022

back in the day - a nikon f2 in a zing case on a bandolier. lovely cameras to use and properly bulletproof . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martsharm/4683329492/in/photostream/

now some wee nondescript digi snapper in chest pocket

galpinos 15 Mar 2022
In reply to SteveJC94:

Do you not have issues with the damp and the X-E1/ XC lens as neither of them are weather sealed?

beardy mike 15 Mar 2022

I was using my EM5 with a 14-150mm lens this winter. It slipped out of my hand from about 2 inches above the ground and the lens disintegrated... will never take a long zoom out with me in the winter ever again! I'm sure it was the cold making the plastic brittle...

Post edited at 14:57
 Graeme G 15 Mar 2022
In reply to beardy mike:

> I was using my EM5 with a 14-150mm lens this winter. It slipped out of my hand from about 2 inches above the ground and the lens disintegrated... will never take a long zoom out with me in the winter ever again! I'm sure it was the cold making the plastic brittle...

That reinforces my case for using a wrist strap at all times. Camera doesn’t come out the bag until it’s on……that said 2 inches isn’t much so I’m maybe kidding myself….

SteveJC94 15 Mar 2022
In reply to galpinos:

Personally I've never found it to be an issue - the camera's still going strong 7 years later. If the rain/snow is hammering down, I'll pop the camera in the bottom of the sack and shoot from my phone in a waterproof case instead. 

Here are a few Scottish Winter shots taken on that setup over the past few years. 

beardy mike 16 Mar 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

To be honest even with a wrist strap it you have hit the deck. It was kinda ridiculous...

galpinos 16 Mar 2022
In reply to SteveJC94:

Cheers. I really like the last one. I'd had a sneaky look at your gallery ad there's some great shots in there, hence the question! I have an X-T1 and took that up to Scotland with me recently (with the 18-55) but with it in the top of my sac, it never seemed to be to hand when I wanted it!

I do have a v.old Sony RX100 which is a lot easier to carry but I don't enjoy using it as much since getting the X-T1 and I don't like the images as much.

magma 16 Mar 2022

around neck

the IBIS did well on this

youtube.com/watch?v=Lv0MxyDg-QM&

but my EM5 no longer starts up- it does click every second or so power getting somewhere- anyone any ideas?

Post edited at 17:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...