Gimbal for DSLR or mirrorless

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 27 Oct 2017
Does anybody have or used a 3 axis gimbal for a DSLR or mirror less camera weighing around 1kg?

What products were they and would you recommend them?

I've had gimbals for phones and gopros but they weighed a 100 grams. I wasn't impressed with the small motors which failed in less than a year.
 balmybaldwin 27 Oct 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

DJI Ronin is supposed to be the nuts, but never used one myself.

What are you using it for? could a gimbal headed tripod do the job for you cheaper (Gimbal heads are approx. £150-£300)
OP The Lemming 27 Oct 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> DJI Ronin is supposed to be the nuts, but never used one myself.

> What are you using it for?

I'm hoping to use it with my mirrorless camera, which is just under 1kg fully loaded.

Of the three small gimbals that I have owned, each one gave me rock steady hand held footage. I was hoping that the image stabilisation of my camera lens would act in a similar way. That did not go well.

I even bought a simple gravity operated stedicam. It worked but I realised that I would need exceptionally strong arm and shoulder strength to use the setup for more than 60 seconds. It was very painful and tiring to use.

I've seen a Ronin and it looks very rofessional. The problem is that it is fookin big and you stand out like a sore thumb. The kit also needs two hands, is complex to set up and you have to recalibrate it once you set it down.

I'm liking the single handed 3 axis gimbals more and more. You can even stick them on a very long pole and operate from the other end via bluetooth.

I just need to find people with real life experience. Last night there was an act called Afishal and there was a chap on stage with the setup I wanted. I got a good bit of advice from the DJ and his manager who both owned the gimbal.

I hate shaky camera footage, and I'm betting people don't like watching it much either.
 balmybaldwin 27 Oct 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Ok... so you are using it for video then?

TBH you aren't going to get away from having to hold approx. 1.5 kg (inc camera) unless you go for something chest mounted.

I suppose the question could be turned around.... what does the mirrorless SLR give you that a GoPro (on a gimbal) doesn't can you work around the lack of lens features?
OP The Lemming 27 Oct 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> what does the mirrorless SLR give you that a GoPro (on a gimbal) doesn't can you work around the lack of lens features?

Yes a gopro has a very good lens and sensor combo and I was surprised to discover that the sensor was the same size as that in a panasonc camcorder I owned last year.

But I have a sexy camera that excels at video and I don't want to be always confined to a tripod or a solid surface. I could even become the UKC blogger.

Not.

HeMa 27 Oct 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

There’s a bunch of gimballs for bigger drones and cameras like GH4. So gettin’ one and building a rig for it could work. Not as handy as ready made solutions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...