Film cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 20 Jun 2019

Do people still use them? Clearing out my flat I found a Pentax film camera I'd forgotten I still had! I'm unlikely to use it again, is it worth selling? I also have an ME Super. The electronics on this are knackered, it still works but only on the 125th/second shutter speed, aperture etc has to be estimated. Is this of any use to anyone? 

OP aln 20 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

BTW I'm not trying to sell something but avoiding paying for a post. If the camera is sellable I'll pay for a post or sell it elsewhere. And I'm willing to give away the ME Super for free to a good home.

OP aln 20 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

> BTW I'm not trying to sell something but avoiding paying for a post. 

Aargh, I'm not avoiding paying for a post is what I meant 

IPPurewater 20 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

Yes there is a renaissance in film photography. Facebook has quite a few groups dedicated to this. Analog Photography and Creative Film Photography to name two.

Search film cameras for sale, to find the pages to sell on or have a look on ebay.

Toerag 20 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

Yes people still buy film cameras, but unless they're a rare or desirable model they aren't worth very much at all. Same goes for lenses, modern lenses are leagues ahead of old ones for general use so it's only rare expensive telephotos or lenses with particular characteristics that fetch a decent price.

Blue Straggler 23 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

It feels like the drop-off in actual usage of film cameras has been very dramatic in the past five years, in parallel with film processing become ever more niche (it used to be "cheap and cheerful fun" to pop a colour neg film in, shoot a weekend, and pop it in at the supermarket film lab, even if not the most pro quality service, it was nice to feel a bit "retro" with it. Now it's all complicated online forms, a million pricing options, and send your film a hundred miles away)

Blue Straggler 23 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

This year I bought an Olympus RC35 for 49E, I don't know if I got lucky, this was in a high end photography shop opposite the main railway station in Stuttgart

Ten years ago that camera might have cost £110.

In reply to aln

Although digital is my main choice in photography I have several film cameras that are currently in use. An old Olympus OM 10 & a Pentax ME super both have films in them that are being used. The flagship Nikon F100 also has a slide film that is nearly finished. One factor that I have found relevant is that each click on the film cameras costs money! Not so much on digital. So the film images are more considered.

Tom Valentine 23 Jun 2019
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Yes, it's a bit like being  Dr Johnson's man-about-to-be-hanged in that respect.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

An interesting thought- if this was the picture that you wished to remembered by would it be worth the expense?

OP aln 25 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

Thanks for the replies.

ring ouzel 25 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

A new darkroom opened in Inverness 6 months ago for b&w film. There are about 30 members. I bought a Nikon F4 and have been falling in love with Ilford FP4 Plus again. Going down tonight to develop some film I shot last week.

We'll be having an exhibition in November. 

kathrync 25 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

I have an Olympus OM1n that I use regularly and a couple of other film cameras.  I don't really take colour photos with them any more - as Blue Straggler said this is becoming expensive and too complicated.  I use digital for colour.

I do like to put a black and white film through the Olympus though, and then develop it in my darkroom/loft at home.

colinakmc 26 Jun 2019
In reply to aln:

I’ve got a couple of Oly OM1n’s (one belonged to my late dad) that I use occasionally. The thing I love about them is that they’re totally intuitive - don’t have to think about the controls at all, compared with my whizzy DSLR. 

This thread is reinforcing my intention to start using them regularly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...