Equipment Insurance Recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andi turner 14 Feb 2017
Some years ago I had quite a selection of expensive astronomical equipment. Something went awry, and after a hard fought battle I managed to get a full pay out from my home insurance. I promiseed myself not to accrue kit of value again...

However it seems to have slowly gathered, so I feel that I should get some insurance again.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations for good insurers for photographic equipment, or am I as well to just add it on to house insurance?
 tk421 14 Feb 2017
In reply to andi turner:

How much kit? I chose to insure ~3k (body + 3lenses) through hiscox business insurance (don't actually need to be a business) for portable equipment. Most travel insurance I was looking at excluded use while climbing, including the adventure ones - "you can keep it in your bag while climbing and use it on the summit".
Considered home insurance too but too much effort and preferred it separate really.
 nniff 14 Feb 2017
In reply to andi turner:

We're just in the throes of renewing our domestic insurance. Wesleyan sent someone round to do an appraisal and then they went and found a suitable deal, from Sterling. All of the previously 'named' items are now covered more generally under a far larger 'contents' cover, which also includes my bikes etc. The previous bike cover of £1k just about gets a decent pair of wheels, so naff all use really. Wife's sparkles also covered. All the of valauble stuff was recorded during the appraisal, but the nature of the policy is that they're more concerned about things like a £200k Steinway. Buildings cover is based on rebuilding costs, rather than the common 'unlimited' cover, which is code for 'we don't know what our liability is, so we'll fight tooth and nail. All in all, a few hundred pounds cheaper than a mainstream insurer and a lower excess.
 mudmonkey 15 Feb 2017
In reply to nniff:

https://www.photoguard.co.uk

Was recommended this lot on these forums. Not particularly cheap but have been pretty impressed so far and they paid out on a claim with minimal fuss already.
 tk421 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Andy Dines:

What was the claim? Good to know they do pay out, that's basically the only time you find out if insurance is any good...

For comparison, Photoguard quoted me £280 for the year, Hiscox came out at £205 (and include accidental loss, which photoguard don't). (5k insured, when adding in a laptop etc).

One of the main photoguard / aaduki etc also said if I wanted to claim accidental damage for a camera I dropped while climbing, I'd have to retrieve the camera... :|

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...