Dirt on camera sensor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Valentine 01 Mar 2021

Four or five distinct specks on sensor and the autoclean won't shift them. 

I've seen a range of advice from "leave it the professional " to "just do it". I've just ordered an air blaster  and am hoping to avoid wet cleaning but any advice welcome . It's Micro 4/3 so is exactly twice as fiddly as a full frame

Jon Read 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I've been using an arctic butterfly for years on my sensors. Not cheap, but I've had mine for ~14 years now, and I think on the same battery!

Graeme G 01 Mar 2021

Used an air blaster on my APS-C and seems to work. Good luck 

jethro kiernan 01 Mar 2021

I’ve “wet” cleaned mine a couple of times with no ill effect, by air blast do you mean a can of compressed air or a rocket blower?

be careful with the cans, I did once by not shaking the can properly and holding at an awkward angle have liquid propellant come out, not on a sensor fortunately 😏

Post edited at 11:28
 balmybaldwin 01 Mar 2021

Air Blast will probably shift it... did for me

OP Tom Valentine 01 Mar 2021
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Squeeze air blast, single action. You Tube warned me about cans and propellant, thanks though.

Post edited at 12:35
 Hamish Frost 01 Mar 2021

Wet cleaning sensors is something I do regularly and have never managed to cause any damage. Although it's slightly intimidating the first time you do it, once you've done it once you'll wonder why on earth you were worried about it. You're also not actually cleaning the sensor, but instead the sheet of glass that sits on top of the sensor, which is replaceable (if that helps provide any reassurance!). Lots of youtube videos showing how to do it:

youtube.com/watch?v=_5N9Fvep3lM&t=215

Tom Last 01 Mar 2021

I used to use a little dabby stick thing, sold for that purpose. It was okay, but intimidating. My mate, a pro photographer for many years, swears by a hoover - no kidding. Never fancied it myself though. 

Graeme G 01 Mar 2021

On saying that, I’ve just discovered a spot and dammed of my blower can’t seem to shift it!! 

Removed User 01 Mar 2021

When my company was making cameras (for phones) we'd clean the sensors in the lab with a very fine paintbrush. Am I right in thinking though that bigger digital cameras have the silicon enclosed in a package with a glass lid? We were cleaning the actual pixel array.

If so you can be a bit more coarse because the dust is further away from the pixel and so you only see much bigger pieces of dirt. Even so, we found that a jet of air entrapped dust from the surroundings and blasted it onto the surface. Again if the surface is dry *and uncoated* this may not matter as the dirt probably won't stick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...