CSC with decent macro capability

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 08 Nov 2020

Hello, asking on behalf of a friend who asked me for general camera advice. He wants something other than his phone camera (in fact he is looking to liberate himself from smartphone) but not a full-on SLR if possible. 
Just general use, he is not a climber or anything, more a "countryside walks with his children" but he's expressed interest in playing with macro, and I have a feeling he'd like to make a few videos of him playing some music. 
It strikes me that a CSC would fit the bill - big enough to not feel like a glorified phone, light enough to take everywhere, and can screw a polariser on easily, and (if feeling cheap for macro) a "close up filter". 

BUT I was wondering if there is one which has a kit lens with good close focusing (like how the Olympus TG compacts are good for this), or if anyone can recommend a particularly decent macro lens for a CSC. We are probably looking second hand, maybe £300 total budget. 

thanks

In reply to Blue Straggler:

e.g. I see the Olympus 14-42 lens (pancake or otherwise) has a close focus of 25cm which is not particularly macro is it! 

But tbh my mate is a little new to all of this and I think if we start him off with (FOR EXAMPLE) a used Olympus OMD-E M5 or M10 and a pancake 14-42 , a bundle that can be had for around £240

nathan79 08 Nov 2020

You should easily find an OMD-EM 10 and 14-42 lens (either the beer pancake or the older non-pancake) for less than £300. Pick up the Olympus MCON-PO2 macro converter(~£60 new) it will do a decent job of macro work. I used that combo before getting a dedicated macro lens.

If he gets on well with that set up then keep eyes peeled for a used 30mm Olympus macro lens.

NathanP 08 Nov 2020

Not a CSC but I have an Olympus TG4, which I bought as a holiday camera for playing in the water and for winter climbing, and the macro facilities on that are very good. There are some amazing insect photos in this review / article (admittedly it's on the Olympus site) https://cameras.olympus.com/tg4fd1review/en/ by Kazuo Unno. 

I've used mine for close ups of dragonfly's eyes and components down to a couple of mm across with good results.

what is it about Nathans?

Thanks both. I know the TG series have a nice close focus; I've owned a TG4 for 4.5 years but I don't think it's what my friend is after. I can see him wanting a little more control e.g. proper stop-down for longer exposures etc.  I will look at the convertor - edit - is that basically a glorified "close up filter"?! And would an extension tube work (what I used use with film SLRs, well, that and reversing rings)? I suppose electronic connectivity is a factor in digital so those "hacks" might not be optimal

Post edited at 14:49
In reply to NathanP:

for the record, all though I have spurned your TG-x suggestion, that was NOT my dislike!  

NathanP 08 Nov 2020

Yes, I think it falls short on more general-purpose uses so isn't a good overall option, so no hard feelings. I meant to suggest a wider point was that if Olympus can get such good close-up performance from a camera with such hard design restrictions, maybe other Olympus cameras would be a good starting point.

I didn't think the photography sub-forum was a place for collecting dislikes but some people are strange.

kevin stephens 08 Nov 2020
In reply to NathanP:

The reason why the Olympus TG-4 (I have one for sea kayaking) is good at macro is the same reason why many smartphones are good at macro: A relatively small sensor which of course detracts from other aspects of image quality

If you could stretch to £400 this combination would be awesome

https://www.parkcameras.com/used/cameras/sony/used-sony-a58/

https://www.parkcameras.com/used/lenses/tamron/used-tamron-90mm-f28-sp-di-m...

Post edited at 20:44
In reply to kevin stephens:

Understood re: small sensor. The combi you recommend is very macro- niche, I think my mate just wants an all rounder to start with, with a mild leaning toward potential macro if he enjoys the overall process

Toerag 09 Nov 2020

Beyond budget, but the Olympus 60mm macro and one of the OM-Ds would blow everything else compact out the water in terms of macro ability.

Thanks all, we got enough for a starting point for his decision making. 

Dark-Cloud 14 Nov 2020

If you are interested I have an Olympus OMD E-M10 body first version, they are very compact even for MFT, perfect condition, PM me if interested, they don’t go for much so would be a good budget option, then buy a second hand macro from MPB.com.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...