Compact Systems Cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew W 19 Apr 2017
I'm looking at buying new camera and have been looking at getting a csc with a budget of around £500, I've been looking at the sony a6000 but looking to see if anyone has any other recommendations.

Main requirements would be to have a viewfinder, reasonable battery life and manual controls.

Any advice would be great thanks.
 The Lemming 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:

I can not comment on your choice of camera, however I can say that I am more than happy moving from a DSLR camera to a micro four thirds camera.

The sensor may be smaller and the cameras lighter but I can not detect any reduction in image quality at all. In fact I love the added bonus of being able to take good quality video as well as good quality images, depending on user skill/stupidity.
 Alpenglow 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:

Olympus E-M10 Mark II

Lighter lenses, similar IQ, much wider lens selection
In reply to Andrew W:

Agree with Alpenglow, I have the EM10 mark 1, love it
 samnbuk 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:

I've had the Sony a6000 for about 6 months now and it's performed great!

I shot this on it to (sorry about the dodgy graphics!) :
youtube.com/watch?v=kxv16emQRYo&
 ERU 19 Apr 2017
Everyone on the pro' photo forums seem to be selling their Nikon/Canon gear and buying Fujifilm XT2's. Or some other Fujifilm camera.
 ChrisJD 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:
I had a Sony A6000 for a while. It was OK, but just didn't like the 'Sony' look of the images and the RAWs just couldn't cope with much editing. (bought and sold it 2nd hand, lost nothing)

Now a Fuji owner and love it.

I'd recommend looking at Oly-Fuji and see what you can get new or 2nd hand for £500.

e.g you should easily pick up a 2nd hand X-T10 & kit lens for less than that or even an X-T1.
Post edited at 10:19
OP Andrew W 20 Apr 2017
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks for the advice where would you recommend looking for used camera kit.

I was trying to stay on an APS-C size sensor as I've got some old lenses that I was planning on getting an adaptor for.
 ChrisJD 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:
if you want a bit of certainty/warranty, then places like Warehouse Express and Harrisons Cameras

https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/used/used-cameras/?filter=F_BRAND:USED-FU...

http://www.wexphotographic.com/used-cameras#esp_category_cf=Manufacturer&es...

I've not ever had a problem buying 2nd Hand cameras off Ebay. But there is always a first time, lol.
Post edited at 16:39
 The Lemming 20 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:

> Thanks for the advice where would you recommend looking for used camera kit.I was trying to stay on an APS-C size sensor as I've got some old lenses that I was planning on getting an adaptor for.

If you move over to micro four thirds cameras then you could look at a metabones adapter. They could let you use your current lenses with your new camera.
In reply to Alpenglow:

Second E-M10. I think Olympus IQ is excellent. My only negative with the small form factor of CSCs is the lack of space for dedicated controls and a tendency for them to be menu driven. Not such an issue on the E-M10 but still more fiddly than on my Canon 7d which is so intuitive and everything falls easily to hand. Still use the Olympus most.
 lordyosch 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:

I'm a big fan of my A6000 had it for maybe two years now.
 SteveJC94 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:

I've had a fuji X-E1 for a couple of years. Been really happy so far. Good ergonomics, brilliant sensor, good range of lenses and very easy to use
OP Andrew W 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone now I just need to find somewhere with them to try in person but I seem to be leaning towards a used x-t1 and kit lens at the moment.
 ChrisJD 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Andrew W:

You won't go far wrong with that choice
 Blue Straggler 14 May 2017
In reply to Andrew W:

I am awfully late to this but maybe it's still worth my mentioning that the Fujifilm refurb store is sometimes worth a look.

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital-cameras/refurbished-digital-cameras?cat=...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...