Compact DSLR with viewfinder & changeable lens?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 06 May 2020

Mrs. Wing and I would like to get a camera that sits between a compact and a DSLR that has a viewfinder and changeable lenses. I was actually looking at getting a refurbished Olympus OM-1 (35mm) but she would prefer, but still ideally looking for something in that size range that can go in a coat pocket. I've owned full-size SLRs in the past and personally don't get along with using my phone as a camera. Suggestions welcome?

Elldel 06 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Hi, do you mean SLR or DSLR? The OM1 is an SLR i.e. not digital....

The trend is away from DSLR's to mirrorless cameras which offer similar performance in a smaller package

If you're looking for a compact interchangeable lens camera ILC... you'll find lots of recommendations for mirrorless Olympus & Panasonic hereabouts these being compact ILC's with a micro four thirds size sensor. Fuji and Sony (and Canon & Nikon) also do compact ILC's with a larger sensor. 

Much depends on expected use,  price and what you like the feel/look of. If you plan to get additional lenses it is also a good idea to check out the available lens range. This is currently a weakness for Canon and Nikon. 

Post edited at 18:29
In reply to Elldel:

Also, size of pockets. I've been using an Olympus mirrorless recently and though it's more compact than my full-size DSLR, and weighs less too, I'm not sure I own a coat that I'd be happy to carry it in the pocket of.

T.

Elldel 06 May 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

True see the other thread currently active for options there....

In reply to Elldel:

That's one for the OP to look at. I need to get rid of some cameras before I get any more!

T.

ChrisJD 06 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

.... DSLR/mirrorless image quality, with viewfinder, changeable lens and fits in a coat pocket ...

nope, not really going to happen at the mo (if you have reasonably sized pockets).

But have a look at the Fuji X100 series, fixed prime fast lens and a joy to use. (gives three out of four of your criteria).

Post edited at 20:07

We went for the EOS100D (a couple years ago now). With the 24mm prime it fits in a really small case. Small enough to clip on a gear loop and still climb reasonably challenging stuff. 

StefanB 07 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

I suppose something like an Olympus EM-10 or EM-5 (depending on budget) with the small 14-42 pancake lense comes closest to fitting into a pocket. It needs to be a large pocket though.

I got this for my travel setup, but in end ditched the pancake lens for the more versatile 12-200 or the 12-40 pro, depending on what I am planning. Both are much larger but I am happy to sacrifice the coat pocket requirement for this.

Post edited at 08:23
 Si Withington 07 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

I recently switched to an OM-D E-M5 Mark III. I've got a 12-32 Panasonic pancake zoom, which is tiny, cheap and exceptionally good considering the price. Also a Panasonic/Leica 15mm f1.7 which is incredible and fast. Both (especially the former) fit easily in the pocket of a hardshell and the Mark III is weather sealed. Pretty ideal to be honest.

motty89 25 May 2020
In reply to Si Withington:

I use similar setup to this. Omd em10 (not weather sealed) with Panasonic 14mm prime. Would like the 15mm leica but a bit too pricy for me!

apwebber 25 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Any mirrorless (compact systems) camera with a viewfinder. Being mirrorless, the viewfinder will be digital but these days they're excellent and even provide more information than a standard DSLR viewfinder.

Changeable lenses, DSLR quality photos, pocketable camera (depending on the lens). What's not to love?

Bob Bennett 26 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

I have an Olympus MD 10 Mk2 with an18-42mm lens. I have it in a small case which I sling round my waist on a belt in the "quick draw" position. It is a light camera and for general mountaineering I find it excellent. Whilst walking/scrambling etc. it does not cause a problem. I also use it when Im out on my MTB in the same fashion

Nik 26 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

I recently switched from a full DSLR to a7iii and I wouldn't go back, it's so much more convenient to carry. One thing to consider, lenses with decent optics seem to make more of a difference to the size than with a DSLR, for example, the 35mm prime on the A7 is huge, the one for my old Nikon was like a pancake.

Post edited at 09:32
 LucaC 26 May 2020
In reply to rockwing:

I'll fly the flag for Sony as I usually do when someone asks camera questions. Any of the a6000 series fit your requirements and I'm really impressed with them. 

The Olympus EMs are good too, as is the OM-1 in its own way (I have one too) but only if you want to shoot actual film! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...