Compact Digital Camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 22 Nov 2021

Any recommendations for a sub-£200 compact digital camera? Looking for a decent outdoors all-rounder.

Cheers in advance!

In reply to Greenbanks:

A better phone?  I've got a Sony Rx100 IV, and an Olympus EM5-3 and it's surprising how often I just take snaps with my OnePlus 6T.  

PaulTanton 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

I agree with you on phone cameras are getting better all the time. I tend to prefer a camera as being a climber my camera gets knocked and kicked around a bit. My old LUMIX is great but the lens guard is a bit knackered.

the thing I don’t like is that in bright sunlight camera and phone displays are very hard to read.  I’d like to go old school with a view finder 

Marek 23 Nov 2021
In reply to PaulTanton:

If you like Lumix cameras (as do I), I'd suggest something like a GX80 body with your lens of choice. Plenty here: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-mirrorle...

Graeme G 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

This one? But as others have said my phone is probably now just as good

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/compac...

blurty 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

Do you mind second hand?

Sony cybershot HX80 is a great camera, with a pull up viewfinder. £200 would get you a pretty mint one.

I've had one for a couple of years, it's been dropped, wet through (rain) and kept going.

Neil Williams 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

iPhone 13 in a decent ruggedised case?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

> iPhone 13 in a decent ruggedised case?

How is a £1000 phone a good suggestion when he wants a £200 camera?

Chris

In reply to Chris Craggs:

> How is a £1000 phone a good suggestion when he wants a £200 camera?

iPhone 13s don't cost £1000 unless you spec right up.

My point is that it simply does not make sense to buy or own a compact camera, unless you're going to use it in the sort of situations where the answer is "a GoPro", or unless you want a very high quality of photography and manual control, in which case the answer is "a DSLR".  It makes more sense to upgrade your phone to one with a decent camera (and you don't get much better than the iPhone 13 - you don't even need the Pro) and put it in a properly ruggedised case.  The other reason to suggest iPhones is the huge range of cases available.

If the OP wants to spend less, the 12 still has an excellent camera and is much cheaper.

Robert Durran 23 Nov 2021

> iPhone 13s don't cost £1000 unless you spec right up.

> My point is that it simply does not make sense to buy or own a compact camera, unless you're going to use it in the sort of situations where the answer is "a GoPro", or unless you want a very high quality of photography and manual control, in which case the answer is "a DSLR".  

Or you want a viewfinder.

Or you'd rather not risk losing or dropping an expensive phone when using it as a camera.

In reply to Robert Durran:

> Or you want a viewfinder.

Compact digital cameras generally don't have one, they have an LCD screen like a phone does.

> Or you'd rather not risk losing or dropping an expensive phone when using it as a camera.

True, perhaps a case with some sort of strap.

Robert Durran 23 Nov 2021

> Compact digital cameras generally don't have one, they have an LCD screen like a phone does.

But there are some that do. And also have full manual control and Raw capability.

Le Sapeur 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

A used Canon G5X won't disappoint.

desmondo1 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

Hi in addition to my phone I have used a Lumix DMC TZ70 for the past few years. It does have a viewfinder as well as good rear screen. Sits in my outside rucksack pocket so had plenty of knocks and weather hits. Great for zoomed shots wildlife etc. Plenty on EBay used for around the £100 mark.

rj_townsend 23 Nov 2021

> iPhone 13 in a decent ruggedised case?

I don't particularly see why you're getting flamed for a perfectly reasonable suggestion. I always said that I'd prefer to have a separate camera for active days in case of damage, but have moved away from that stance entirely - phone is a perfectly good solution for all but professional level photography. I've been using iPhone 11 for everything, including underground, and use a short bungy to prevent it getting dropped. I'm looking forward to seeing how the camera on the 13 exceeds the already excellent 11.

Graeme G 23 Nov 2021

> Or you'd rather not risk losing or dropping an expensive phone when using it as a camera.

^This

Watched someone taking photos of the Western Isles from a ferry using their phone on Saturday. Of course you must get as close as you possibly can by leaning over the water. Never fails to stun me that people don’t see the unnecessary risk in doing stuff like this. I mean it’s not like stepping forward another metre is going to bring North Uist that much closer!!

Andy Hardy 23 Nov 2021

> iPhone 13s don't cost £1000 unless you spec right up.

They don't start at £200 though

> If the OP wants to spend less, the 12 still has an excellent camera and is much cheaper.

I doubt these are <£200 either

jezb1 23 Nov 2021

> But there are some that do. And also have full manual control and Raw capability.

Newer iPhones can shoot in RAW, and there's some apps available that let you alter shutter speed / aperture / iso. Crazy how good they are!

But yeah, nowhere near £200...

Marek 23 Nov 2021
In reply to jezb1:

> Newer iPhones can shoot in RAW, and there's some apps available that let you alter shutter speed / aperture / iso. Crazy how good they are!

Wow! So they can now do what dedicated cameras were doing 20 years ago? And manual focus? Optical zoom? Dedicated function buttons instead of touch screen?

jezb1 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Marek:

Nice sarcasm, well done!

I love proper cameras, simply stating what iPhones and similar can do these days.

Marek 23 Nov 2021
In reply to jezb1:

Oh, don't get me wrong. Phone cameras are often 'the best' in the context of 'the best camera is the one you've got'. I probably take more pictures on my phone than on my DSLR, but those pictures rarely go beyond an 'aide memoire' or WhatsApp. I've tried (occasionally) to rely on just the phone when I knew I should really take a camera and I've usually regretted it. OK, I have a pretty basic phone (Moto G8), but it's not a patch on even my ancient semi-retired Lumix LX3 compact, either in image quality (often 'cos the phone lens is covered in crap) or (sometimes more importantly) in usability.

OP Greenbanks 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

Thanks for these responses - typically helpful & much better than being given a load of sales b/s.

I’m inclined towards a Lumix - seen good reviews and it can fit my budget

Mike-W-99 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

I've a lumix (tz100) and it covers most things I want. iPhone xr for snapshots and it does a pretty good job but tricky to use when climbing or in winter with gloves on!

Graeme G 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

Get the one with the biggest sensor you can afford.

Brian Pollock 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

There's 10% off used stock at WEX just now, including a Sony RX100 III for about £270 and a Lumix tz100 for about £225 (with discount). Possibly worth a look. 

For actual climbing I prefer something with a fixed lens (retracting or similar so you don't have to faff with a lens cap) that can be operated with one hand. I've used a Ricoh GR (16mp apsc model) and rate it for image quality, although battery life suffers in the cold. It also easily fits in a pocket. Pretty sure they can be found dirt cheap on eBay.

Whilst I agree that, viewed on a phone / laptop screen, phones are comparable to 'real cameras' these days (and arguably better than older compacts), I think there is pleasure to be had in the craft of using a real camera. The GR and Fuji equivalents offer more in that regard in my opinion. Phones are great for convenience, but I've never enjoyed using one for photography.

Post edited at 09:01
 Graeme G 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

Fordes have some good deals on 2nd hand Panasonics.

https://www.ffordes.com/c/488/digital-compacts?p=1&q=488&mn=100&...

blurty 02 Dec 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

> Get the one with the biggest sensor you can afford.

Personally, I'd go for the best lense I could afford (& a rangefinder)

Graeme G 02 Dec 2021
In reply to blurty:

I’d go both.

Marek 02 Dec 2021
In reply to blurty:

> Personally, I'd go for the best lense I could afford...

If you mean 'best' as in most-appropriate-for-the-job-in-hand, I would agree. If you mean best-IQ-as-measured-in-the-lab, then I have to differ. There are lenses that for most jobs have been overdesigned in pursuit of IQ. I have a Lumix Leica 12-60 lens with resolution that far exceeds the 20Mpx micro 4/3 G9 sensor. It's a lovely lens, great IQ, built like tank, but so often it's just too big and too heavy to carry around. I sometimes wish I had the cheaper, smaller, lighter, plastic lens with adequate IQ - that would in practice be 'better'.

HardenClimber 03 Dec 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

The Olympus TG series are good. Have a significant following with cavers where they get mistreated quite badly (and support / repair by the company seems pretty good post split) had a friend who'd mistreated his tg5 (mud, impacts, scratched lens) and sent it off with the upfront fee, he was just thinking about starting to grumble after 3 weeks silence when a refurbished replacement arrived). TG5 is pretty much like a TG6. New tg6 is 320-370.

(and the pictures are good).

A secondhand TG5 might work (not sure about specs of TG4 etc). Might still be over budget.

(if i'm out walking etc I just use my Samsung Phone, climbing I'd make more use of the camera)

kevin stephens 03 Dec 2021
In reply to HardenClimber:I have a TG4 which I use for sea kayaking. The TG series are the best option for a fully it waterproof compact camera. However as a camera it is not very good mainly due to its very small sensor, and in the case of the TG-4 a too greedy pixel count, the TG-6 is better because it has fewer but larger pixels. For general use my iPhone 12 gives better pictures. Although the TG-4 can shoot in Raw this is not much benefit due to the limited dynamic range of too small pixels. For a compact camera my old Canon G15 is far far better. I have considered getting a waterproof housing for my Canon G15 or even DSLR, but they would be too bulky for me for sea kayaking . To the OP I would suggest a decent second hand compact camera

OP Greenbanks 07 Dec 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

Just to round this off, I went for a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70 HD 1080p. its got a 30x Optical Zoom and a 3" LCD Screen. Got it (new) for £239 - which I thought appeared reasonable for the spec. Thanks again for all the advice which, as ever on UKC, was predominantly informed and gave much food for thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...