Compact Camera with Optical Viewfinder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Chubb 29 Nov 2012
Apologies for another question on Compact cameras but this is one with a slight difference as I am a big fan of the optical viewfinder. It can be hard to see the image in bright sun (which is when I like to climb) if all you have is a screen.

I'm looking at a Canon Powershot G15, Nikon Coolpix 7100, Fuji Finepix X10, but all are a bit bigger and heavier than I would ideally like. My Nikon Coolpix 7900 was perfect in every way (optical viewfinder, small, light, simple to use, good image quality) until it broke...

Does anyone know of any other compacts with optical viewfinder please? Or does anyone want to persuade me that I'm putting too much importance on the optical viewfinder?

Thanks
 krikoman 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Chubb: Canon IS710 great little camera excellent results
 LukeO 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Chubb:

I was also reluctant to go without a viewfinder. However, I got a Canon S95 and have found that it makes no difference at all to me. Often when I am strapped to a belay, I find myself moving the camera to a position where the viewfinder would be useless anyway.

Much more useful for me are the are the review functions on offer (histogram, flashing highlights, etc) - I can then check straight after taking a picture not just that the composition is fine (never really a problem, even in bright light) but that the exposure is OK too. It is the perfect size for a chest pocket, and not too bulky even in a case.

Hope this helps. I reckon the easier a camera is to get out, the more likely you are to take nice photos - something as big as the G series would irritate me in a chest pocket.

L
OP Andy Chubb 30 Nov 2012
In reply to krikoman: Thanks. Found a new A720IS on Amazon for £149.
 kevin stephens 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Andy Chubb: Optical viewfinders with dioptre adjustent (like Canon G15) are great to avoid having to wear reading glasses to see the screen
 krikoman 03 Dec 2012
In reply to Andy Chubb: bargin! hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...