Climber proof digital camera - Any reason not to buy a LX7

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello,

I've managed to kill my second Sony RX100 in just over a year. Water damage and it is going to be too expensive to repair.

With a trip to Yosemite just around the corner I am in the market for a new camera.

I used a friend's Panasonic LX7 the other day and was impressed with the pics. There is one for sale online for £220.

Can anyone think of a good reason not to get one, or suggest a better camera for the money?

Cheers,

Tom

jethro kiernan 28 Sep 2017
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I can flog you an LX7 plus spare battery and the cool lens hood, message me if interested

its a great little camera and quality is great for most people, I post to stock photo websites so upgraded to 4/3 for my walk around camera as it was acceptable to the stock photo company I use.
In reply to jethro kiernan:

You've got mail!
 galpinos 28 Sep 2017
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Which micro 4/3rd did you upgrade to?
 jethro kiernan 28 Sep 2017
In reply to galpinos:

I got an OMD em 5
 d_b 02 Oct 2017

I used to have an LX7, then I left it on a beach after my 40th birthday bash and the tide took it. Good cameras, not particularly resistant to immersion in sea water.

I treated myself to an LX100 as a replacement. Very nice lens, and the 4/3 sensor is competitive with my old Nikon D7000 when it comes to noise and low light performance. Lens has a fair bit of barrel distortion at short focal lengths, but stays sharp so it is correctable.
 The Lemming 02 Oct 2017

I too am impressed with four thirds cameras.

I'm sure the Lx 7 will be fine. But the sensor is a size down from the RX100 so performance will a bit less good in terms of high iso and dynamic range

My RX100 came from John Lewis with 3 year accidental damage cover for about £30

Freeman0323 20 Oct 2017

Apart from Good Camera, I also prepare the Custom Lights in the bag because some of the region is too dim. I just have a very good experience on this http://www.ledsmaster.com/Custom-LED-Lights-285.html
 Sam W 20 Oct 2017

I've got an LX7 and have been very pleased with it as a compact. The lens is very good, and the camera offers plenty of control over settings if you don't like the auto mode. The only real downside is that low light performance is OK rather than great.
 Wft 20 Oct 2017

I've been using Flo's and it's brilliant, annoying about the lens cap but you can get a fixed-opening one off ebay.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...