Capture One Express and Cature One Pro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 25 Mar 2020

I'm planning to spend some of the lockdown getting to grips with some proper photo editing software. Capture Pro seems to come highly rated for Fuji. Does anyone have any experience of the learning curve for the free Capture One Express version and would it be then straightforward to adapt to the subscription Capture One Pro version later or would there be a significant new learning curve? Any advice appreciated.

John2 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

What a confusing pricing structure. You do have the option of buying a perpetual licence for Capture One Pro (a universal version which does support Fuji) for £299.

Si Witcher 25 Mar 2020
In reply to John2:

Hi Robert, I opted for the perpetual licence of C1 Pro last year and I've found it straightforward, with the help of a few YouTube videos to solve specific 'how to' questions. It seems more capable than Lightroom but easier to use (and less capable) than Photoshop or gimp. It seems to do fixing/hiding blemishes and skin smoothing nicely. I haven't used it for landscapes myself.

kevin stephens 25 Mar 2020

Check out Affinity Photo, and also the reputable reviews. I have the iPad version. I find it excellent for Raw processing and the usual tools: HDR and focus stacking. Panorama stitching etc. Very reasonably priced too

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/software-review-affinity-photo-1-5-2

Post edited at 18:40
 ring ouzel 25 Mar 2020

I have C1P for Fuji. I tried the free version and it was excellent so I paid for some more whistles and bells. Many people feel that C1P really brings out the best from Fuji, way better than LR does. C1P has some excellent teaching videos. A good investment for Fuji users. I have heard good things about the Sony version too but I have no personal experience of that.

I recently downloaded Affinity Photo and I'm about to get to grips with it. I mainly shoot with a Fuji X-T3 but I've recently rediscovered my Canon 600D and I have an Olympus T-G5, both of which shoot Raw hence the Affinity Photo.

beardy mike 25 Mar 2020

Have just started getting into editing a bit more, previously I'd used GIMP, an old version of photoshop, the ipad version of affinity photo and lightroom, and google photo. I trialed the desktop versions of affinity and luminar which both have two week free trials. In the end I went for lumina 4 - the tools are super easy to use and the artificial intelligence tools seem to me to be excellent, although I'm sure simeone with a better and more developed eye will tell me this isn't the case. Theres also an HDR suite done by the same company and you can get them as a package or a good price.

OP Robert Durran 25 Mar 2020
In reply to ring ouzel:

> I have C1P for Fuji. I tried the free version and it was excellent so I paid for some more whistles and bells. 

Thanks. Is it simply a matter more whistles and bells without having to relearn anything you can already do?

OP Robert Durran 26 Mar 2020
In reply to ring ouzel:

> I recently downloaded Affinity Photo and I'm about to get to grips with it. I mainly shoot with a Fuji X-T3 but I've recently rediscovered my Canon 600D and I have an Olympus T-G5, both of which shoot Raw hence the Affinity Photo.

My compact is a Sony, so maybe I could use the free Sony version for that without having to learn a new system.

ring ouzel 28 Mar 2020

Sorry, Robert - been busy!

Yes, it's more of the same. I never edit my photos too much (a relic habit from my film days) so I don't ever delve too deeply but I feel that I may be missing a trick, hence why I paid for it, to see what I am missing. One of my lockdown targets is going deeper into several software packages.

If your Sony shoots RAW it would be worth trying out C1P for Sony.

timparkin 29 Mar 2020

I'd recommend Lightroom over C1 unless you're fairly tech friendly and are used to more advanced editors. C1 is a good supplement to Lightroom as it has some nice colour adjustments and the very fine detail can look nicer but it's not the friendliest of packages and the upgrade prices are a little over the top in my opinion (I have C1Pro and Lightroom/PS)

OP Robert Durran 29 Mar 2020
In reply to ring ouzel:

> Yes, it's more of the same. 

Thanks. I've downloaded the free Express version for Fuji and shall see how I get on with it.

> If your Sony shoots RAW it would be worth trying out C1P for Sony.

Yes, if I get on ok with the Fuji version, I assume the Sony one work the same.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...