Cameras for climbing photography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ReeceBCooper 17 Oct 2018

I've been into photography for three years now and love climbing and adventure sports photography I was wondering what you guys would recommend for high quality climbing shots I currently use the Nikon D7100 but I am looking at mirrorless as my main focus is lightweight but I want to be able to change the settings and lenses. preferably under £1000 but I can stretch.

OwenM 17 Oct 2018
In reply to ReeceBCooper:

Canon EOS 50M, crop sencer but very good images. Very light and small. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and have been blown away by it. They do a 32mm f:1.4, I don't have one but am planning on getting one. £495 with kit lens, £400 for the 32mm.

Post edited at 22:52
Removed User 17 Oct 2018

You can get a Fuji XT1 for a couple of hundred quid or a XT2 for maybe £650. There is a recent thread about Fuji lenses. Not sure if they will be on the heavy side for you, you could also check the XE2 or the XM1 which is very cheap (and pretty good, I have one).

HeMa 18 Oct 2018

Fujis are really stellar cameras and for shooting while climbing, you'll want a small pancake lens (or pancake zoom) so it is small enough to fit on pocket (or small bag).

Since I'm not all that big, I prefer even smaller cameras. So my climbing camera is the bottom feeder Panasonic MFT (GX800) with a pancake zoom of 12-32mm lens (remember, crop factor x2). This works ok during the summer and is certainly small enough to fit in the jacket pocket. For winter, I'll want even less hassle, so I'm looking to buy the smallest pancake lens with autofocus availalble (so 14mm f2.5, would have preferred a hair wider but I'll live with it). The GX80 or even GX8 or 9 are a tad bigger (but not all that much, about the size of smaller Fujis or the Canon M's). On the ground I have longer (and wider lenses), but we also have a few other MFT cameras in the family. So I'm mostly using the GX800 while climbing and occationally for second angle 4K video work to support my 'main' camera.

Of course, if you only shoot single pitch stuff from the ground or ab down, even your Nikon will work. So you only need to look into smaller options if you wish to use it while climbing multipitch stuff (or really, really long approaches).

In fact while I like certain aspects of the GX800, there are some that I do not... e.g. the battery life isn't that good (but spare batteries luckily are, as is the option of USB charging from a powerbank when the camera is turned off). Also no view finder (GX80 and G8/9 have smaller EVF and the screen). But the good thing is, that it is cheap. There seems to be a combo-deal where I live with the 12-32mm pancake zoom and 35-100mm tele (which I also have and use to shoot pics of climbers from the ground) for less than 500 Eur. The Oly options from MFT are slightly larger, about the same as GX80 and upwards, great cameras and my wife likes her PL7.

Fujis and Sonys have less crop factor, but size wise they are also bigger.

LucaC 18 Oct 2018

I've just downsized from a Canon 6D to an Olympus OMD micro 4/3. It's not the lightest camera going, but the image quality is super and most importantly it's way less bulky than the Canon, which to me is almost more important. I've been using it with a Zuiko 9-18mm super wide angle (works out as 18-36mm equivalent) which is great for mountain landscapes.

The OMD EM5 is also weather proof, which was also a selling point for a camera I'm going to drag around the winter highlands in the sleet and rain.

Post edited at 06:55
 planetmarshall 18 Oct 2018

Have been using (the same) Olympus EM-10 for years now, through Summer Alpine and Scottish Winter.

It refuses to die so that I can have an excuse to upgrade to something weather sealed.

Marmolata 18 Oct 2018

Mirrorless is the right idea, particularly if you go the Micro-Four-Thirds way. Smaller lenses will make a huge difference.

I would advice the Panasonic G80 with the 12-60mm lens. It's not the latest model so if you can get hold of it it should be a good deal. Main advantage: Fully weathersealed, great for outdoor photographing. All the bells and whistles anyone needs.

Olympus lenses are compatible (but AF is better with Panasonic lenses).

jethro kiernan 18 Oct 2018

OMD em-5 hangs on my harness for climbing, tough and weather sealed. Can be picked up second hand for a reasonable price.

Jim Lancs 18 Oct 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:

> OMD em-5 hangs on my harness for climbing . . . 

And mine. And has done for quite a while now. Still takes brilliant photos (technically, not the composition necessarily) and has been 100% reliable despite the weather.

It's the biggest camera I'm prepared to carry on every trip, so there's no point in me comparing it with anything bigger. Only gripe is that the On/Off switch could ideally be larger when wearing full winter gloves, but I've never failed to get in on or off.

Alpenglow 18 Oct 2018

Olympus E-M10 II and M.Zuiko 9-18mm

Jonathan Griffiths uses one:

https://alpineexposures.com/phototips/tips-from-the-pros-which-camera-gear

Si Withington 18 Oct 2018

Another vote for the Olympus EM5. I downsized from Nikon digital and big fast lenses, via Sony and Fuji options before settling happily with the EM5 Mark 2 and the excellent 9-18mm. I’ve since downgraded the lens to the cheap but incredibly good Panasonic 12-32 pancake. It’s ridiculously small that the body/lens combo is now no bigger than a big compact.

Been really impressed with the lens - it feels plasticy but the IQ is outstanding and it is cheap too so even when you break it then it’s not mega bucks to replace 

Post edited at 23:23
 James FR 19 Oct 2018

There's probably something wrong with it as I've never seen it recommended on here, but I've been really enjoying a Panasonic GX7 that I got secondhand with a few different lenses. It's just about light enough for me to take it on routes.

HeMa 19 Oct 2018
In reply to James FR:

Nothing wrong with it... just older model.

And actually I did indeed recommend a newer version (GX8 or GX9) above. I did however point out, that perhaps the slightly smaller sibling GX80 might be more suited... or the tiny GX800.

JDal 19 Oct 2018

Another vote for the Oly E-M5, been using one for years. A few years back we were on a trip up a gorge in Turkey, which was flooded with grey glacial meltwater. I had the E-M5 slung round my neck with a cheap plastic lens on it - not a weatherproofed one.  Somebody pointed out it was actually being dragged through the water and had been for a minute or so. I dried it off and it seemed to work ok - and it did for another 2 years until one of the dials stopped working because it had a bit of muck on a contact. The lens was fine. Camera's still going strong.

Mike_d78 19 Oct 2018

No doubt all the cameras mentioned will work well for you. Don't expect to see an improvement in image quality the D7100 is an awesome camera. I down sized from the D7200 (my D7100 got nicked) to the Sony A6xxx series, which is one of the smallest APS-C, very happy with my choice to. 

A6000 is incredible value, but the A6300 would be nearer to the D7100 spec wise. As with I guess most cameras though it's more about the lenses......

Sorry I've probably not helped????????????

OP ReeceBCooper 19 Oct 2018
In reply to Mike_d78:

I’m preferably wanting better image quality I was looking at the Sony a6300 was it worth trading in the D7100 or should I just stick with the weight. Also was wondering what quality of images are like with sharpness as I also take photos of climbers within the landscape.  

Mike_d78 20 Oct 2018

Hi. I had the A6000 now have the A6500......I genuinely don't think you'll see a vast amount of difference in image quality compared to the Nikon when also comparing comparable lenses. The Sony is smaller in every instance though. 

My non scientific comparison would go something like this....

Sony 18-135 vs Nikon 18-140 about the same. The Sony 18-135 is a great lens in a small package.

Sony 16-50 vs Nikon 18-55 Nikon win for sharpness

Sony 10-18 vs Tokina 11-16 about the same, Sony much smaller but Tokina goes wider. 

Sony 55-210 vs Nikon 70-300 AFP Nikon win, Sony is maybe similar to the old 55-300. You need to be at F8 at least to get sharp pics from the Sony

Sony sigma 16 & 30 primes vs Nikon 35mm - all great. I appreciate you can't directly compare these lens they are all fantastic and begin to really get the best out of the sensor, just choose your most useful focal length. 

I have pics from both Nikon and Sony in my gallery to compare and contrast!

Those are my thoughts......

Post edited at 10:37
 Mike_d78 20 Oct 2018

Should also maybe say that I prefer the ergonomics of the Nikon. Whilst the Sony is much better from live view shooting and video strange point. 

Rob Jarratt 27 Oct 2018

I have also been thinking recently about a climbing camera, I would like one that I can take on multi-pitch routes. My regular camera is a low-end DSLR which I would not dream of taking on a route, for reasons of cost, bulk and weight. I have been thinking about the very low end of the market, something like a Panasonic DMC-FT30, which I could put in a pouch and clip to the harness. Has anyone tried one of those or anything similar?

HeMa 27 Oct 2018
In reply to Rob Jarratt:

I have used such cameras...

they generally fare reasonably well for a year or two, before they disintegrate. Also more often than not, the IQ leaves a lot to desire, even when compared to a low end DSLR.

The best compromise I manage find is small mirrorless range-finder kind of deal. Not much bigger than the P&S, but better IQ and non electric zoom lenses (they be the ones that often break)... or heck, even primes.

Mike_d78 27 Oct 2018
In reply to Rob Jarratt:

Hi, depends on your budget and expectations. I'd say the camera you mention is pretty much a standard (little sensor) though tough point and shoot. If you want to get nearer to DSLR performance then the Olympus Tough might be a better fit, they are more expensive though ........

TobyA 27 Oct 2018
In reply to Rob Jarratt:

I bought a second hand but in very good condition FT-5 through a good camera shop about 18 months. The guy told me openly that it wouldn't be as good photos as I got out of my failing Canon S110, which was fair enough but it was a third of the price. I was really disappointed with the photos though, they always seemed grainy and muddy, I had a smaller much older Lumix that seemed to take much brighter, better photos - so I don't really know why. It was fun using it underwater but that was about the best I could say about it. Then a year ago, it fell about 30 cms when we were pulling kit out of a day pack, it was in a zip nylon pouch (not padded but better than nothing) and the screen cracked, this then let water in so you can't even use it swimming now. It still works but I've pretty much given up on it and just use my phone which take shots which are possibly better looking as long as you don't need to blow them up that big.

Rob Jarratt 27 Oct 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks for the various replies. I am not fussed about being able to use it underwater, but some overall outdoor toughness would be good. The trouble with spending more is that then I might be more reluctant to take it on a route in case it gets damaged! I have to say the Olympus Tough looks nice though. I notice that Panasonic also do some slightly more upmarket travel compacts (TZ70, TZ80) which don't appear to have any ruggedization features but are possibly inexpensive enough to take on routes and presumably better image quality. I suspect those too may break a bit too easily though. So it seems either I should go to the really cheap end and not expect too much in terms of durability and image quality, or go for something like the Tough.

TobyA 27 Oct 2018
In reply to Rob Jarratt:

The Lumix tough camera just turned out to not be that tough! My Canon s110 has some pretty big dents in its metal case, it got knocked around and worked ok for a good few years. The little Lumix I had before that lasted for years, seemed totally impervious to cold (Finnish and Norwegian Arctic winter cold!) not bothered by drizzle and being stuffed inside sweaty layers etc. So non- tough cameras can be tough too, it just doesn't seem anyway to know in advance. :-

David Barlow 27 Oct 2018
In reply to TobyA:

My Canon G7 X Mark II is surviving Scottish winter climbing and even rock chimneys. I have it in a lightweight Crumpler case on one of my harness gear loops. Quality sensor and good lens. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...