Camera wanted for for Climbing and Skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jimp97 07 Jun 2022

Hi,

I'm looking to get a camera for taking pictures whilst climbing and skiing, not really interested in video function as I have a go pro.

I'm looking for something compact that has good image quality and will be fairly straightforward to use and edit. Ideally, it would be nice if its good at taking big landscape pictures of mountains and landscapes as well as close ups. Being water resistant, (doesn't have to be waterproof) allowing it to be used for Scottish winter would also be an advantage.

budget is 500-1000 cheaper the better but I don't mind paying for quality.

any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Graeme G 07 Jun 2022
In reply to Jimp97:

First advice you’ll get is think about 2nd hand. MPB and FFordes are good.

Alternatively use e-infin. Up to 30% cheaper than UK. But limited choice.

If you’re looking for a compact something from the Sony RX100 range will be good. Although I use an A6400. Can def recommend anything in the A6000 range. The kit lens is ok, but not great.

OP Jimp97 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

I'd not really thought about second hand so thanks for that.

Yeah I was thinking compact just for the ease of carrying it whilst climbing. 

Is there a vast difference in image quality between the A6400 and  RX100?

Graeme G 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Jimp97:

That’ll depend on whether you upgrade the kit lens on the A6400 vs which RX100 you buy.

This is a good comparison site

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Alpha-a6400-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-...

Kai 11 Jun 2022
In reply to Jimp97:

The Ricoh GRIII is very small, a true pocket camera.  It has a wonderful wide angle lens and terrific image quality.  Professional quality tool in a very tiny package.  

https://www.josephdagostinophotography.com/joedagostino-photo-blog/2021/4/2...

Post edited at 19:56
 glenn0010 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Kai:

How do you find the lack of a viewfinder and it not having a tilting screen, especially for use outdoors?

sxrxg 14 Jun 2022
In reply to Jimp97:

Another alternative could be the Panasonic GX80/GX85. Similar size to the Sony previously suggested and even though it is a micro 4/3 sensor vs APS-c image quality is decent. Also they can generally be picked up a lot cheaper and there is a wide range of good quality second hand lenses avialable for not much money. 

Graeme G 14 Jun 2022
In reply to glenn0010:

Had an A5100, with no viewfinder. Was very much point and guess when outdoors. Now got an A6400. The EVF makes a huge difference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...