Camera repairs - water damage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 19 Aug 2019

On holiday last week and managed to drown the camera in the swimming pool.

It's a Nikon Coolpix W300, which is usually a waterproof camera but the door wasn't shut properly and it leaked. I'd left it on charge overnight, my wife had unplugged it to charge her phone and shut the door, but hadn't locked it - I didn't check and jumped in the pool with the kids. Clearly, we're blaming each other

At the time, it completely shut off and wouldn't turn on. I've managed to dry it out in the sun and it has come back to life, but the inside of the lens has watermarks and there may be other internal damage. At least it wasn't in the sea!

I think it's covered on the travel insurance, but, if not, any ideas on how much it would cost me to get it repaired?

It was a Christmas present and I'd only used it once before this trip.

Post edited at 12:40
 balmybaldwin 19 Aug 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Sounds like it just needs taking apart and cleaning....  presumably this would be covered in a standard service charge

Rigid Raider 19 Aug 2019

It will never be the same again. Talk to your insurers.

Toerag 19 Aug 2019

If it were seawater it would be deemed beyond economical repair instantly. Freshwater you might be luckier but I wouldn't hold my breath.

OP LastBoyScout 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Toerag:

I've spoken to the Nikon service centre and they could have a techie take a look at it, but in their experience it would almost certainly be a write-off due to corrosion after any sort of liquid ingress.

Insurers it is, then...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...