Camera recommendations pls - replacing an SLR with something smaller

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JX0 01 Dec 2021

Not sure what to do so thought I would get some opinions from the forum.....

I have a Nikon D7500 which I use only with a 35mm 1.8 prime (i.e. 50mm equiv). The camera is fab in terms of handling, autofocus speed and low light. But big and bulky. Wondering if I can get something smaller without too much trade-off. Hesitant on mirrorless re: handling and autofocus. But tech might have moved on now to address those. Ideally would be borderline "pocketable" e.g. large jacket pocket or forgettable round your neck.

Use is general "walking about" and photos of people - doesn't go up climbs. I prefer a fast prime to a slower zoom. Roughly normal focal length works for me but I'm not set on 50mm equiv., e.g. 35mm-50mm would be OK. I don't really do landscape photography, or at least not anything that would need anything wider.

I tried out a Fuji XF10 fixed focal length APS-C compact and didn't get on with handling or autofocus performance, which were both pretty poor. Is the Ricoh GR signficantly better? What about some of the new mirrorless? Is the better Fuji mirrorless stuff as good as everyone says? XT-30?

Budget - if a straight replacement I would say around £600 - £900 as I think I could get about £600 for the current setup on ebay and could put in a bit extra. Happy to get something back off ebay. 

My backup idea is to get an old manual focus Nikon film SLR and a 50mm pancake and shoot manual focus and B&W and lean in to all the differences! Something appealing about that. Probably wouldn't replace the DSLR with that. Presumably that setup could get quite bashed about.

thanks

Blue Straggler 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

What's the current smallest Nikon dSLR and lens?

I have an old Canon EOS600D and with Canon's 24mm f/2.8, it's not exactly pocketable but it's almost "forget it's around your neck" territory, and there are newer Canon bodies that are way smaller than my 600D. I really enjoy that set-up. I don't know your Nikon model and what you might have to sacrifice in high-end functionality, for a more compact size (usually the smaller models are a bit more entry-level, so you may not get the same frame rate or multipoint AF etc)

Something worth pondering. Even outside of Nikon (I only mention them in the first line as I assume you could just keep all your current kit, or just sell the body if you like that 35mm lens already...)

Graeme G 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

Sony A6400 with one of the Sigma trio of lenses (16,30 or 56)

jezb1 01 Dec 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

> Sony A6400 with one of the Sigma trio of lenses (16,30 or 56)

I'd echo that. The 6k series make for great allrounders I reckon.

I have an A6600 with a 16, 30 and 50 and there's not much I'd change about it.

Graeme G 01 Dec 2021
In reply to jezb1:

If the OP is looking for really good autofocus, they can’t really go wrong with an A6xxx. 

Toerag 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

Something micro 4/3rds Olympus would probably fit the bill nicely. The newest full-frame Nikons&Canons might have small bodies but the lenses are still relatively big.

OP JX0 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

Thanks for some quick replies.

Sony - I will look into it. Thanks, wasn't really on my radar. Might need to look at A6100 depending on budget but seems that focus system is broadly similar. Will keep an eye out good deals body-only. Why the Sigma over the Sony prime? The Sony lens is more expensive but a touch smaller? Is the image quality of the Sigma better?

Smaller Nikon SLR - don't think I gain enough on size really and the entry-level ones can be a pain on handling as well as a bit last-gen on tech. Was my first thought.

M43 - would rather a larger sensor if poss for gneeral image qual but I understand the size limits re: glass. APS-C is OK.

HeMa 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

Mirrorless is the way. 

personally If I had no baggage from lenses, I would look at the smallest Fuji’s or perhaps Leica L-mount stuff. The former will be crop sensor but cheaper. The latter, well spendy but fullframe. 

ChrisJD 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

> I tried out a Fuji XF10 fixed focal length APS-C compact and didn't get on with handling or autofocus performance, which were both pretty poor.

Try a Fuji X100v ?

Have a look at: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/photography/fuji_x100v-740336

felt 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

> Ideally would be borderline "pocketable" e.g. large jacket pocket or forgettable round your neck.

You like your Nikons, so the Z50 mirrorless SLR is really fantastic with the 16-50 lens, easily fits in a more generous pocket. You can use your current lenses too with a lens mount, but the other kit lens, the 55-250, is bulkier, obvs. Worth considering.

Tony Buckley 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

From experience, it's as much about how you get on with the camera and the way it works as anything else; more, probably.  

That suggests two things.  First, try and borrow cameras from people you know and see how you get on with them and second, if you're familiar with Nikon menus and happy with them, then Nikon might be the best way forward.

I owned an Olympus micro 4/3rds camera for a while.  Loved the small size and relatively light weight but I found the menus very difficult and after a while realised that I'd spent as much time, or more, cursing it as using it.  So Olympus wasn't for me.

I ended up with a Canon M series camera.  Just as portable and the image quality is at least as good as the Olympus but most importantly, I understand the menu structure because I'm used to it from my Canon DSLR and so I spend more time shooting and no time filling the air with foul curses.

So try before you buy if at all possible and perhaps look at Nikon first as the learning curve may be less steep.

T.

Andy Manthorpe 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

This site shows you where you can get some competitive prices.

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

chrisjwoodall 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

I’m considering a Canon G5X ii to replace a Fuji mirrorless setup for similar reasons to you; not convinced from other replies that the sensor size suits you but it certainly loses plenty of weight and bulk. I haven’t been brave enough to actually do it yet though because I’m a JPEG shooter and not sure I can give up the Fuji colours, which are excellent, and the Fuji lenses are also reliably good if on the whole a bit bulky. Fuji XT30 and 18mm looks like a compact combo, it’s a lens I’m considering for my XT10 as a compromise.

Tom Valentine 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

Sorry, JXO, nothing of much value to contribute to your post except suggesting the M4/3 route, but a massive thanks for coaxing BS out of hibernation/exile or whatever.

Brian Pollock 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

Nikon z50 second hand and z mount 40mm f/2 pancake? Should be within budget with change.

Post edited at 19:16
 Graeme G 01 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

The Sigma primes on Sony A6xxx have stunning sharpness. Check out dpreview and cameradecision for info on all your options. 

ArthuR does some really good reviews of Sony A6xxx series on YouTube.

e-infinity.com also really good for deals. Weird ordering system but I was recommended them on UKC and I’ve bought about £2700 of kit for £1900. Result.

CLYoung 02 Dec 2021
In reply to JX0:

Definitely agree about trying to get hold of one to try first, I've decided against buying cameras that look great on paper just because they don't feel right in the hand.

I've got an old Sony A6000 (would recommend going for one of the newer A6*00 now) and for a while used the Sony 35/1.8 OSS lens a lot on it, which would be a like-for-like replacement for what you've got now. Good lens but ultimately I found that perspective too limiting and got a second hand 24/1.8, which is a great lens. If it's what you like though, go for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...