Camera recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 olliee 25 Sep 2017
Theres a bewildering array of cameras out there. I wonder if anyone can recommend one?

My primary use will be taking video and general climbing related photography.

I would like to get into alpine climbing at some point, so something that will perform reasonably well in that environment would be ideal.

I want something easily portable for multipitch climbing so I am fairly set on digital for this reason, but feel free to try and persuade me otherwise.

Budget £500 max, £400 so I have budget left over for tripod etc.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
 Alpenglow 25 Sep 2017
In reply to olliee:

Sony RX100 series if you don't want interchangeable lenses.

Micro Four Thirds system if you want to change lenses. I've just bought an Olympus E-M10 II with a 9-18mm (UWA zoom) that works very well for outdoor stuff.
In reply to olliee:

I'd agree with Alpenglow in most respects, probably a bit less keen on an ultra wide as a go to lens

But keeping it simple buy one of the RX100 series. If you can live without a view finder the base model is fine and well under budget. Do buy a copy of Lightroom or similar and shoot RAW
In reply to olliee:

I have the same set up as Alpenglow as well as a small Panasonic prime lens. Find it perfect for all my outdoor stuff.
 Mark Kemball 25 Sep 2017
In reply to olliee:

> I want something easily portable for multipitch climbing so I am fairly set on digital for this reason, but feel free to try and persuade me otherwise.

If you want to carry your camera on climbs, it needs to be small, lightweight and rugged. I have an Olympus Tough for this.

malk 25 Sep 2017
In reply to olliee:
looking on the auction site you could get an oly em-5/10 body and 12-32 panny or 12-50 oly for ~ £300- this wot i chose/use (also have sony a5100 that i no longer seem to use although probably better IQ and video)
Post edited at 18:46
 malk 25 Sep 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:

>>with a 9-18mm (UWA zoom) that works very well for outdoor stuff

not for the budget..

Alpenglow 25 Sep 2017
In reply to malk:

This is a good point. It's about £450 new.
you could get a second hand one though.

Alternatively, the Panasonic 12-32 could be a good shout. Not as wide, but a good lens.
 climb the peak 25 Sep 2017
In reply to malk:

I got this and am very happy with the results!
OP olliee 28 Sep 2017
In reply to olliee:

Thanks all for the recommendations. I'll read up on all the options and hopefully buy something soon!
 BAdhoc 28 Sep 2017
In reply to olliee:

Micro 4/3 has served me well. I have the epl5 which is great. But if you're doing a lot of videos I'd look at the Panasonic bodies as they are suppose to be better for that.
 malk 29 Sep 2017
In reply to Alpenglow:

> Alternatively, the Panasonic 12-32 could be a good shout. Not as wide, but a good lens.

cheaper/better resolution than the pancake oly equivalent but purple fringing is an issue on older oly bodies.
a uv-2a filter seems to correct: http://alanwatsonforster.org/writing/mft-purple.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...