Camera for technical climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JStearn 20 Aug 2020

I am currently using a Sony A7ii with a couple of prime lenses. I am very happy with this system for hiking and general mountaineering but I would like something more compact for technical alpine routes. I usually have the camera in a case on a belt but can't use this system with a harness with gear hanging off it. I am looking for something that can go either on a harness or a shoulder strap in a small case so is easy to access. I have thought about getting an Ax000 series body and using my Samyang 2.8/24 (a tiny, light lens) but this might still be too bulky for a shoulder strap. I did have an EM-5 which was neat and compact but it wasn't as sharp, although I only had a kit lens for it. What are your recommendations for something to take on steep routes for high quality bum shots?

Cheers,

James

Alpenglow 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

I have an Olympus E-M5 MkII and a M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens.

Lens is really compact, only disadvantages I've found are it's slightly soft in the corners, flares a bit and isn't weather sealed.

Olympus also do a M.Zuiko 12-45 F4 that is weather sealed and compact.

The have listed a weather sealed 8-25 F4 on their roadmap which could be the ideal lens for mountaineering, but it's not out yet and may even not get released with Olympus imaging getting sold off.

Its a great system, great IBIS weather sealing and the best IQ to size/weight ratio IMO. However you need to accept that you'd be buying into a potentially dying system with the sale of Olympus.

https://alpineexposures.com/phototips/tips-from-the-pros-which-camera-gear

Graeme G 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

I have an A5100. With the kit lens it fits very easily into a ThinTank Mirrorless Mover 5. I’ve hung it very easily from my chest clip on my rucksack. The A6xxx get bigger, I believe.

Never used it for climbing though but don’t think it would’ve been an issue at the grades I would be climbing.

jezb1 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

I have a a6500 with various lenses and have been considering an RX100 for in the pocket type duties.

I love my a6500 but it is too big for personal climbing, for me.

Clauso 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

> ... What are your recommendations for something to take on steep routes for high quality bum shots?

I'd recommend you getting a Panasonic Lumix LX100 II, and ensure that you second some high quality bums:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-dc-lx100-ii

greg_may_ 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

RX100 has been my go to for the past few years when I don't want to carry my A7

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

I have been using a Panasonic TZ100 for my 'carrying camera' for a while now and I can't really fault it: compact, good zoom range (28-250mm), large sensor, responsive. The only thing missing is a tiltable lcd.

Recommended by DPreview - https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-enthusiast-long-zoom-cam...

Chris

BuzyG 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

I bought one of these for a trip to New Zealand last year.  Lumix TZ200

https://www.ukcamerastore.co.uk/acatalog/Panasonic-DMC-TZ200-Digital-Camera...

Totally brilliant little compact.  takes RAW has a 1inch crop sensor and a 15x optical zoom.  You can set it up for completely manual, if you need to.  Most situations point and shoot takes first rate pictures. The quality is first rate. If your not taking professional photos. then you really don't need more IMHO.    

OP JStearn 20 Aug 2020

Should have said, I'm a bit reluctant to go the Olympus route again because of the sale and I don't think an EM-5 type body would be significantly smaller than a Sony A6xxx, which I already have lenses for. Playing around on Camerasize, the A6xxx with a pancake lens might be small enough but then I'm limited on focal length. I'll check out the compacts, seems as though there are about 6 versions of the RX100, wish Sony would streamline their offerings!

Post edited at 16:21
 Mike_d78 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

I use the RX100vi. Size to performance I think they're unbeatable, pricey though.......

They're also very versatile with decent zoom range. Possibly a little fragile a few others on the site have bust theirs and my iv died when a landed on it doing an acrobatic dive to avoid a hail of paintball bullets.

Here's one shot...

https://chewvalleybouldering.com/introduction

Post edited at 16:26
 BuzyG 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Mike_d78:

Very similar specs. Numbers comparison here.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-VI-vs-Panasoni....

One thing that doesn't get mentioned in the numbers comparison is the little grip on the front EZ200.  Compared to other compacts I have had. This makes a world of difference to how secure the camera feels in your hand, when taking pictures on the fly.

Paulhesketh 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

Here's a comparison of compact zooms....

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-compact-zoom-cameras/2

There are a lot of RX100's....seems to be a thing with Sony, with the A6000 being another example. The vi & vii two have the longer zoom lens up to 200mm but smaller max aperture. The iii - va have a zoom to 70mm but wider max aperture. So if you want zoom go for the later models, if you want better low light performance the earlier models.

Mike_d78 20 Aug 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

They certainly can be slippery little beasts. I keep mine attached to me via some shock cord; otherwise I can absolutely guarantee it would be a camera no more. 

Basemetal 20 Aug 2020
In reply to Mike_d78:

Sugru is your friend too, or those self adhesive little bumper things.

JayW 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

I am currently using my new Canon G7x mk iii which is a compact point and shoot. I have taken it on multi pitch routes in inclement weather and up grit off-widths and it seems to be working well. 

Brian Pollock 20 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

Ricoh GR or GRII second hand. Weighs less than my phone. Fixed lens, razor sharp. Not weather sealed but mine has done a good few winter seasons and still seems to work. Billed as a street photography camera but works perfectly for climbing.

OP JStearn 22 Aug 2020

Thanks for all the suggestions, leaning towards the Sony just because I'm used to them and I don't even mind the menu system that everybody complains about. If anyone has any more sample shots (Scottish winter or alpine stuff) or high ISO shots, would be great to see. 

Martin Hore 22 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

>  I'll check out the compacts, seems as though there are about 6 versions of the RX100, wish Sony would streamline their offerings!

That's unfair on Sony. The reason there are 6 (or 7) RX100s on the market are because Sony don't discontinue earlier models when they bring out an update. So you can still get the older, perfectly adequate, models if you don't want to pay for the latest version. I can't see any issue with that. I'm still using Mk 1 and it works well as an "on harness" camera,

Martin

tjdodd 22 Aug 2020
In reply to Martin Hore:

> >  I'll check out the compacts, seems as though there are about 6 versions of the RX100, wish Sony would streamline their offerings!

> That's unfair on Sony. The reason there are 6 (or 7) RX100s on the market are because Sony don't discontinue earlier models when they bring out an update. So you can still get the older, perfectly adequate, models if you don't want to pay for the latest version. I can't see any issue with that. I'm still using Mk 1 and it works well as an "on harness" camera,

> Martin

Exactly, its pretty amazing that a company keeps old versions for sale giving a variety of prices for customers who do not need or want the latest version.  The older versions are great value for money for great cameras.  A shame more companies did not do the same so you are not paying for features you do not need.

PPP 22 Aug 2020
In reply to JStearn:

+1 on RX100m6. Honestly, it's as good as I need it to be - some pics attached. I had it only for a month so far and couldn't be happier changing from 2kg setup to a 300g camera. I sometimes think a modern phone is as good, but I never found it as satisfying to use. 

It's packable enough so you can put it in a case and protect it better than other cameras. There's even few hard cases that are low profile. After breaking Fujifilm X100F that people praise as built as a tank, I just went with an accidental damage (incl. water) for my RX100m6. 

theoots 09 Sep 2020
In reply to JStearn:

If you're not keen on the Olympus Em5 then I would also recommend the Sony RX100, specifically the RX100iii. For iii to v versions have the same lens, f1.8 - 2.8 and 24-70mm eq focal length, while the vi and vii have a longer zoom but slower aperture. In my opinion the brighter lens on the iii to v is more useful for climbing. The RX100iii is the sweet spot for cost imo, the improvements in the iv and v are mostly for video. 

I have loads of photos from my RX100iii here: https://thomasogarden.wixsite.com/tomgarden/photography

It even does ok for astrophotography in a pinch, with the f1.8 lens. 

Graham Zimmerman used an RX100 (not sure which version) for his Link Sar ascent. Pretty ringing endorsement. Take a look at some of his photos:

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news/link-sar-full-trip-report-on-first-asc...

My only caveat would be that the RX100 is expensive and fragile. Mine started to glitch out a lot, probably from moisture during repeated mountaineering trips. The lens cover also stopped working and the lens front element got scratched. I eventually replaced it with an Em5 because I liked the idea of not having to replace the whole camera when the lens gets damaged. I also have a Panasonic GM1 which I use for rock climbing. This is almost the same size as the RX100 with a small lens, and with a prime like the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 it can beat the RX100 in image quality. 

OP JStearn 08 Oct 2020

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like some variety of RX100 will do the job!

jethro kiernan 08 Oct 2020
In reply to JStearn:

I use the em5 mkII for what your describing, never had a problem with sharpness, I used a 15 1.7 Panasonic which was a great pinsharp lens, also use the 9-18mm Or 12-45mm 

the lenses are a lot more compact than Sony primes.

fotoVUE 08 Oct 2020
In reply to JStearn:

I use a Sony RX100 - get the Sony leather case.

The Lumix LX (up to 15 now) is bombproof - got mine covered in snow on a glissade, with no problems, again get a leather surround case.

A6000 with a small lens is small enough for mountain crags in my opinion.

M

steveb2006 08 Oct 2020
In reply to JStearn:

Ive got the original RX100 which still works fine - you can buy a stick on rubber grip which overcomes the 'slipperyness' problems mentioned above.  No signs of mine coming off after more then 3 years of use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...