Buying old digital cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 15 Mar 2022

I have bought plenty of old film cameras, but until this week I had never bought an old digital camera.

I bought a Leica D-Lux 4 on a whim. A quick search of the serial number suggests that it is a fairly early camera (2008). It is a lovely thing and the few test shots that I have taken have been fantastic quality with low light performance (which is what I had in my head when I bought it) really, really good.

I bought it from a shop at what seems like a decent price based on a few searches of the usual second hand places online. Shop have provided a six month warrantee. Should I be expecting problems with electronics of that age?

Marek 15 Mar 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

With the electronics - shouldn't be a problem. The battery will have a limited life, so perhaps get some spares whilst you can. The only problem I had with my Lumix LX3 (which is essentially the same camera) was that the lens movement was very sensitive to any dust or grit - it just tended to jam all too easily - so try and keep it clean. Great camera!

Post edited at 21:36
 SouthernSteve 15 Mar 2022

My oldest (D2H - 2003) works poorly, refuses to take a picture some days. I should throw it away, but it took such fantastic pictures - even though they were a diminutive 2464 × 1632 in size.

Marek 15 Mar 2022
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> My oldest (D2H - 2003) works poorly, ...

I have a Canon 300d of about the same vintage. Still works fine even though I had it in bits to convert it to full-spectrum/IR some years back. As above, it's gone through several set of batteries - I'm not sure if I could get any more now.

OP The New NickB 16 Mar 2022
In reply to Marek:

Thanks. I’ll order some batteries.

cb294 16 Mar 2022

Shit, I read the title and was about to offer you a surplus  D-Lux 4. Any chance you need a D-Lux 3 for your museum (for a donation to MR or Ukraine refugees)?

CB

OP The New NickB 16 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

The 4 is very much intended to be used, not displayed. Looks like the 3s are still getting decent money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...