Best on-line photo storage site

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deanr 02 Jan 2013
I'm thinking of backing up my photo's on-line, from people's experience, what's the best site to do this on?

My photos are currently stored on my laptop with a back-up on an external hard drive. I have about 10-20GB of files and I'm happy to pay for a service.
KevinD 02 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr:

purely storage or sharing with others as well?
and if the latter community style (eg adding comments, groups and all that jazz) or just family and friends?
OP deanr 02 Jan 2013
In reply to dissonance:
Thanks, it's just for storage, I don't want to share at all
In reply to deanr:

Dropbox is good.
 ianstevens 02 Jan 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Seconded.
 The Lemming 02 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr:

Create your own cloud?

You could set up NAS box to be accessed from anywhere in the world. That way you have an initial set-up investment with a storage size of your choice but without worrying about monthly rip-off fees for storing and accessing your own images.
KevinD 02 Jan 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

> You could set up NAS box to be accessed from anywhere in the world.

not much use for offsite backup though.
Aside from dropbox.
Google and Microsoft have some not bad variations (and depending on what you use can be well integrated).
Amazon Glacier looks like it could be useful as well.
You could use FLickr but keep all the photos private. There are limits on file size (20MB) and would need to be jpg. But beyond that it is unlimited storage for a fixed fee.
 timjones 02 Jan 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> [...]
>
> not much use for offsite backup though.

Possibly the cheapest option would be to swap some space on a friends NAS for some space on your own. You back up to theirs and vice-versa.

Marco Plebani 02 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr: uploadingit.com
 adam 03 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr:

Take a look at CrashPlan. I've put up 350 GB on their unlimited option for ~ £35 a year.
 thekendo 09 Jan 2013
In reply to adam:

I've got about 90Gb of pictures both RAW and Jpeg. I'm a student at the moment so any suggestions on a cheap online / off site backup would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

kenny
 adam 10 Jan 2013
In reply to deanr:

Pretty extensive list here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/tp/online_backup_services.htm

I'm using CrashPlan+. Seems to work OK on the Mac, allows you to backup external discs, unlimited storage.

I've also heard good things about Mozy and Carbonite.

Dropbox / Skydrive / Google Drive get very expensive for larger storage requirements.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...