Backup SD cards in the field?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 21 Dec 2018

What options are there when I'm away from a computer?

Edit

Anybody seen or used one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Wireless-Portable-Companion-Streamer/dp/B...

Post edited at 22:06
 Robert Durran 21 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> What options are there when I'm away from a computer?

I looked into this last year and options seem limited. I bought a cheap tablet to back up daily, but I gave up because it seemed I couldn't just download that day's photos so it became ridiculously slow after a few days. I'm now thinking of upgrading to a camera with dual SD slots for my next big trip. I might keep one SD card in one slot and cycle, say 10, smaller ones in the other slot, so that even if the camera is lost or stolen I'll only lose a tenth of my photos.

Tom Last 21 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Put them on your phone with a SD to lightning converter, if you have an iPhone. Quick and easy. That’s how I file my press work remotely from my SD cameras.

Or as Robert says, get a camera that shoots on dual cards. 

Post edited at 23:59
kmhphoto 22 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Not used that as it's only an intermediary device, you'd need an external drive as well as that unit.

Have used with no problems WD My Passport Wireless External Portable Solid State Drive's but you'd have to use an extra drive or keep the images on the SD cards for a backup.

Post edited at 00:09
 Robert Durran 22 Dec 2018
In reply to kmhphoto:

> Have used with no problems WD My Passport Wireless External Portable Solid State Drive's

I got one of those but couldn't make it work - completely baffling - so I sent it back.

In reply to Tom Last:

> Put them on your phone with a SD to lightning converter, if you have an iPhone. Quick and easy.

Does that work for raw files? I am interested as I can’t meantime download raw files from camera (via wifi) to iphone. Only jpegs get transferred; I always assumed it was an Apple problem, but could be the camera transfer software possibly?

Post edited at 09:52
 CLYoung 22 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I used to use a wireless device with a USB stick plugged in to back the photos up to but I found it slow. They may be better now. Instead I use a little card reader that has a micro USB connection to plug it into my phone (you can also get ones with lightning and micro USB C connections). My device also has a USB slot so I stick a USB stick into to back up the photos. I have a really tiny one that I keep attached to my key ring. On Android if you don't like the file manager supplied with your phone you can download others with functioality like selecting a range of files.

ChrisJD 22 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

What are you trying to protect against with the backup?

philhilo 22 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I use micro SDs which gives me 2 options. Cable across into my phone, Dropbox out as soon as it sees a wifi. Or pull out card put it straight into phone, again Dropbox it out on WiFi. Did this all around SA for 3 weeks. Very good when diving with camera and security concerns.

Tom Last 22 Dec 2018
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I don’t know I’m afraid as I ordinarily shoot on jpeg for work stuff as I often have to edit on my phone, so RAW for me is more hindrance than help. 

It’s as basic a device as you could imagine really so I suspect maybe not. 

OP The Lemming 22 Dec 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

> What are you trying to protect against with the backup?

If I am away from home for a few days or longer I'd like to back up my SD and micro SD cards till I get home.

At the moment I try to use one SD card per day and keep used cards safe and hidden where I am staying.  Its not a backup but atleast if my camera is lost or stolen, then I have some images.

In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks anyway.

The only raw files I have on my iphone are those actually taken with the phone through an app like ProCamera that can save raw files. Still think it’s an Apple restriction since the camera provided software can transfer raw files to a pc ! If only I could transfer raw files to the phone!

In reply to The Lemming:

There does seem to be a gap in the market for a dedicated device into which you stick an SD card and it simply downloads all the photos not already downloaded. They could then be transferred to a computer via USB later. I'd definitely buy one.

FactorXXX 22 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Never had need for one as I've always had access to either a PC or Laptop.
However, how about something from the Lacie Rugged range:

https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/products/rugged/

Haven't actually used one, but it does seem to do what you want.

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Never had need for one as I've always had access to either a PC or Laptop.

> However, how about something from the Lacie Rugged range:

> https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/products/rugged/

> Haven't actually used one, but it does seem to do what you want.

No mention of an SD card slot

FactorXXX 22 Dec 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

> No mention of an SD card slot

Try searching within the Rugged range and you'll find one.
I could post a direct link, but I'm sure a man of your intelligence can manage to do that on his own...

FactorXXX 22 Dec 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

> No mention of an SD card slot

The only thing I can't work out, is whether you can actually use it independent of a PC/Laptop or not.
I'll leave that up to you to investigate...

Failing that, the DJI Copilot from the same company definitely has the ability to transfer data directly:

https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/products/dji-copilot/

David Barlow 22 Dec 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

I have an old nexto m1  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nextodi.com/product/M1_en.html&ved=2ahUKEwjy1-jrtbTfAhVgVRU... but  that is now discontinued and the replacement model is much more expensive  The nexto runs off an in internal battery and is great. 

Post edited at 21:52
 HeMa 23 Dec 2018
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

VSCO and other apps allow RAW files.

HeMa 23 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The WD Passport wireless I had has worked. Built-in SD reader and you can configere it to automatically backup all SD cards. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...