Backing up Lightroom files

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone_donkey 19 Jan 2019

Hi all, my PC is about to die and I need to extract all the key files before I wipe and do a Windows 10 clean install. I have all my photos backed up but suspect I don't have key Lightroom files backed up. Does anyone know what files I need (and where they live) so that if I do a reinstall of Lightroom I can set my catalogue etc up again with the minimum of hassle?

IPPurewater 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Stone_donkey:

I'm using quite an old version of Lightroom. My catalogue etc is located in

MyPictures, Lightroom, then sub folders are: Backups; Lightroom 3 Catalogue Reviews; and Lightroom Settings.

I'd keep the last two Backups and delete the others, then make a copy of the Lightroom folder and it's sub folders.

Is it really necessary to do a wipe before you reinstall Windows 10 ? I think you should be able to reinstall without wiping your data.

IPPurewater 19 Jan 2019
In reply to IPPurewater:

That should read "Lightroom 3 Catalogue Previews"

Dan Arkle 20 Jan 2019

The catalog file is the key one. 

Preview files can be recreated if needed. 

I also save the settings files that contain all my presets for editing and exporting. 

JDal 20 Jan 2019

In the latest version, the catalog location is shown if you go to  Edit/Catalog Settings.  As said previously that's all you REALLY need. It has keywords, edits etc. If you want to keep presets, their location is in Edit/Preferences/Presets tab

OP Stone_donkey 20 Jan 2019
In reply to JDal:

Unfortunately I'm at "Blue Screen of death" phase so can't do the "Edit/Catalog Settings" option. If the default location of the lightroom catalog is in My Pictures then I should be ok as this folder is part of my routine backup. I've tried all the various "Reset windows without deleting your files" options and nothing's worked so far, so it is looking increasingly like a fresh install. At least it doesn't look like I have to go to the command line to get my Lightroom info copied before I wipe (though I will need to find the install file as I don't think you can get stand-alone installs for Lightroom any longer - it's all cloudy?)

JDal 21 Jan 2019

You could always take the disk out and stick it in a caddy and look for the catalog on different machine. 

Edit, I think you can get LR standalone, it's just hard work. I'm not on PC so can't check.

…. checked, you can only get V6 and it won't be updated.

Post edited at 18:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...