Anybody used a digi-scope thingie with a phone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 28 Jul 2022

Anybody used a digiscope device thingie that allows you to put a phone's camera lens up to a telescope or spotting scope so that you can take a photo of what the telescope is focused on?

If you have done this what were your thoughts on the results?

Should I end up with an image like this or has something gone drastically wrong?

OP The Lemming 29 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

Bit of Googling and YouTube’s and discovered this is normal and the attachment is working. 

Ho well.😳

In reply to The Lemming:

I’ve experimented just a few times using my phone and binoculars! Just a makeshift setup as a trial and did not involving buying any compatible connectors/adaptors.

I had similar quality of photos to your one (without the fun angle though 😉). I was aiming for the complete cut off circle, rather than it’s total absence, and achieved that, and was pleased at the fun results of photos of ruined structure, birds, etc., I obtained. I didn’t have a proper seal so the images were soft with I guess light leakage, inaccurate focusing between devices, etc.

It’s on my list of things to experiment further in due course, but I would need to research appropriate compatible devices/adapters at that time in future to get the best results. I note though there are now in-adaptor cameras being sold and that maybe worth exploring rather than using my phone or if I got a telescope probably using my digital camera.

I’ve seen some incredibly detailed, “normal” photo view (avoiding the cut offs), photos online which are effectively just the same as a camera with telephoto lens. Speaking to an RSPB staff member earlier in the year, she said many of her colleagues have had good results of shooting birds with their scopes and phones with appropriate adapter. She was planning on investing for herself as she always carries a scope and phone, but not a camera.

Marek 29 Jul 2022
In reply to The Lemming:

You can get decent results without the vignetting, but it requires a scope with a wide angle eye-piece and those tend to be very expensive. It makes sense if you already have a good scope. Less so if you already have a good camera.

OP The Lemming 29 Jul 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I have one of these for my RSPB scope which was built by Viking.

https://vikingoptical.com/universal-smart-phone-adapter/

I had a cheaper adapter for my telescope but it was too small for my spotting scope.

I've learned that for a camera to work well it needs to have a full frame 50mm equivalent lens. Camera lenses are usually wide angle and as such have the vinyetting.

I like the idea of in-adapter cameras, that sounds good.

In reply to The Lemming:

> I've learned that for a camera to work well it needs to have a full frame 50mm equivalent lens.

That would make sense. Something to remember, thanks.

If I ever do get a scope, I would certainly explore the in-adapter cameras further to see how good they are as it has to be better for quick must have shots. They will be designed for the scope, easy to fit, probably secure (?) and have to be better for using out in the field for quick must have shots if the results are good enough. Shouldn’t forget it would be less of a financial loss if it gets dropped or wet than a phone would be!

In reply to The Lemming:

Interesting thread. I've been experimenting with just holding the phone and zooming in to about x1.6 and it cuts out the vignette.

Would you recommend the Viking adapter? 

Thanks, Stuart. 

OP The Lemming 23 Aug 2022
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Yes I would recommend the Viking  adapter. I was at a Star Party the other week and the adapter fitted quite nicely onto the telescope eyepieces quite well. I even got a couple of good shots of Andromeda as well.

I know what you mean about zooming your phone in x1.6 to cut out the vignette but I feel that this digital zooming decreases the final image quality. At least if I shoot as-is, then I can crop the image in Lightroom with better results.

But its still a phone bolted onto a spotting scope or telescope and its best to manage your expectations. But could you afford a camera lens that does similar large magnifications?

😀

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...