Any video editing Jedi in the room?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 07 Dec 2020

My camera is set to 25 frames per second when filming simply because I live in the UK

However my phone captures footage at 30 frames per second, and there is no way the change the frame rate. Google Pixel thinks everybody lives in the USA.

Any ideas how I could get the 30fps footage to play nicely on a 25fps Timeline without being jerkey?

HeMa 07 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I think yer hosed. 

next time use matching framerates. 

or you could try to Re-encode to different framerate first, but it takes time and again not the best results. 

OP The Lemming 07 Dec 2020
In reply to HeMa:

> or you could try to Re-encode to different framerate first, but it takes time and again not the best results. 

Yep, the results were poo when I reduced the speed to 25fps. 😥

Maybe I did the process wrong?

HeMa 07 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Nope. Prolly not. Mix and match framerates don’t really play well together. Unless it’s 25/50 or 30/60. 

some ideas here  youtube.com/watch?v=qAVfIQ2G7Io&

Post edited at 21:42
 MJAngry 07 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Depends on the clips, but slow one down or speed one up? Or do both? 

OP The Lemming 07 Dec 2020
In reply to MJAngry:

> Depends on the clips, but slow one down or speed one up? Or do both? 

Slowing one down sounds like a great plan, as I only shot simple stuff to establish where I was. £0 down to 25 won't be a ball ache as the audio will be ditched. Its just that my experiment of slowing down 30fps to a 25fps timeline went a bit wrong.

I'm guessing user stupidity rather than technical fail.

lorentz 07 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Ah yes. The old 60hz interlaced vs 50hz interlaced conundrum, because of the way the two nations wired their national grids originally, affecting the timings of the electrical signals in respective TV transmission chain. 2 interlaced fields per frame one set at 30fps and the other at 25fps, all of which makes me a telly geek, but not geek enough though to solve your conundrum sadly. Sorry!

Mr Lopez 07 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Join the 21st century and start filming and editing in 30/60fps. The footage filmed in 25p will look better in a 30p timeline than doing the inverse so you can sort of solve your current problem by changing the timeline's properties and making it 30fps.

If you do want to slow down the 25p footage so that it matches the frame rate there's normally an option accessed by right clicking the cllip that says 'Interpret as' or something like that depending on what software you are using, and gives you options of frame rates, so if you right click the 30p clip you would select 'interpret as 25fps'

On Vegas and few other software the options are under the clip's properties and you change the 'playback rate' or 'undersample rate' to suit

OP The Lemming 08 Dec 2020
In reply to Mr Lopez:

>  Join the 21st century and start filming and editing in 30/60fps. The footage filmed in 25p will look better in a 30p timeline 

So I don't need to worry about living in a PAL region with 50hz power supply and film at 30fps?

Post edited at 00:04
Removed User 08 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

For the record, I thought YOU were the guru

Anyway, my limited experience has the default here in Canada as 60fps.

In reply to Removed User:

I just know enough to get me through each project/problem. And my phone is a problem, it will only shoot 30fps. I discovered this nugget of info while editing a project and it looked awful.

You got any snow your neck of the woods?

I saw some on the news and I think this is the closest my garden is going to get from now till the end of time.

Removed User 08 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Had over a foot in one night about 3 weeks ago and the roads are only just clear now. More than enough snow now to last the rest of the year although it has been very mild for Saskatchewan.

HeMa 08 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> So I don't need to worry about living in a PAL region with 50hz power supply and film at 30fps?

Pretty much no. Unless you film a lot under regular lights, and even that you can test (film under such conditions and see you you spot any flicker).

For the record, I use 24p as one of my speed-dial settings. Or 30p.

If what you film will mostly be viewed from computer screens, then going 30/60p makes to most sense as the native frequency of most computer screens (and also flat-screen TVs).

Mr Lopez 08 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> >  Join the 21st century and start filming and editing in 30/60fps. The footage filmed in 25p will look better in a 30p timeline 

> So I don't need to worry about living in a PAL region with 50hz power supply and film at 30fps?

Not really. The PAL/NTSC only mattered with analog systems. Virtually everyone's TV's and obviously phones and computers are digital nowadays and play whichever format equally well

machino 08 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Download the Filmic Pro app or similar which gives complete manual control over the camera, and record a stable 25fps on your phone.  Apps like Filmic Pro will also give you lots more other controls too so are useful to have if you are serious about shooting and editing footage from your phone.

chris_r 08 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Reminds me of John Peel.  "Perhaps that was meant to be 45 rpm"

Post edited at 14:56
In reply to machino:

> Download the Filmic Pro app or similar which gives complete manual control over the camera, and record a stable 25fps on your phone.  Apps like Filmic Pro will also give you lots more other controls too so are useful to have if you are serious about shooting and editing footage from your phone.

I shall give it a try.

Cheers

Ross Barker 10 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

If your Pixel runs on Android (unfamiliar with ChromeOS) then it might be worth looking at OpenCamera as well. It's free and open source, so might not be quite as refined as something like Filmic Pro, but I really like using it over the default camera app for manually controlling most available settings, including frame rate!

Iamgregp 11 Dec 2020
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> Join the 21st century and start filming and editing in 30/60fps. 

That's not really true - I work in television and the bulk of the projects I've been involved in are shot and edited @25 fps.

OP The Lemming 11 Dec 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

I'm more than happy to stick with 25fps and multiples there of. 😁

OP The Lemming 11 Dec 2020
In reply to Ross Barker:

>  If your Pixel runs on Android (unfamiliar with ChromeOS) then it might be worth looking at OpenCamera as well.

Sadly this will not allow me to change the frame rate. 😥

>  might not be quite as refined as something like Filmic Pro,

This has to be the best £11, I have spent on an app. It even comes with a waveform for exposure settings. That alone is worth the cost.

Iamgregp 14 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Make things easier!

Course every now and then you get some DOP who wants to shoot at 24fps or some other frame rate to get a more cinematic look....

Annoys the hell out of everyone else!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...