Any MFT users in the room? Lens advice please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 04 Apr 2023

Has anybody used a 42.5mm lens either the cheapish or fekin expensive versions?

If so I'd appreciate your thoughts on the lens.

I'm off to my sister's wedding and hope this would make a great portrait lens as well as video lens.

Post edited at 20:51
 Kai 05 Apr 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I love the MFT format.

I use the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens.  It is an excellent portrait lens.  I've used it for weddings and have had good results.

It's very sharp and I have no complaints at all.  

Example of wedding portrait with my 45mm:

https://flic.kr/p/dwiBYT

OP The Lemming 05 Apr 2023
In reply to Kai:

Looks like I'm getting a new toy.

Cheers

Jim Lancs 05 Apr 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I too have the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens. They gave it away free when I bought my camera. Seemed pto ‘duplicate’ my zoom, but I forced myself to use it and now really appreciate what it can do. 

But I’ve never been to a wedding. 

OP The Lemming 05 Apr 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

To Kai and Jim, have either of you used this lens on a panny body?

If so, did it play nicely?

Cheers

Kai 05 Apr 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't have a Panny body, but my friend does, and all of his Olympus lenses work fine for it.

The only time you are likely to run into issues with cross brand compatibility is with large telephoto lenses with in-lens stabilization.  For Olympus lenses, the stabilization in the lens works in concert with the in body stabilization for the camera.  For Panny bodies and Oly lenses, you have to pick one or the other.  

sxrxg 05 Apr 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I  use the Oly 45mm f1.8 with a Panasonic GX80 body and it plays nicely, it does have in body stabilisation though which i believe some earlier Panasonic bodys don't have. Without this you may struggle with handheld shots (Panasonic lenses are typically stabilised whereas Olympus lens don't tend to be). 

The other lens that i really enjoy using is the Oly 25mm f 1.8. Small and compact with a 50mm full frame equvalent focal length that just suits my eye. 

Jim Lancs 06 Apr 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Only with Olympus body I’m afraid. 

jethro kiernan 06 Apr 2023
In reply to The Lemming:https:

//www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwju676Z-JT-AhVFiVwKHbsZBp0QFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ephotozine.com%2Farticle%2Fsigma-56mm-f-1-4-dc-dn---c-review-32983&usg=AOvVaw1KJ4jgmdjlosJpuoJtvhuu

I did look at the above for portraits with mft

Post edited at 10:35
OP The Lemming 06 Apr 2023
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> Only with Olympus body I’m afraid. 

I chickened out, and played it safe with a second-hand Panasonic 42.5mm. I also went cheap-ish compared the the Nocticron version. I did not think it was worth the extra £400 just for one stop more of light gathering and a fraction more possible sharpness.

I'm guessing that it would be like splitting hairs on image quality with Panasonic and Olympus so I went like for like.

Thank you chaps your comments were really useful about image quality especially as this lens will be used for wedding portraits.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...