Ansel Adams photos for sale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 17 Feb 2022

Some Ansel Adams originals are coming up for sale very shortly (sorry, only just saw the article):-

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2022/feb/17/ansel-adams-ra...

Sean_J 17 Feb 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Bugger, might have been tempted to bid on some of those!

Solaris 17 Feb 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Not surprised by the estimate for most of these pictures, but "Moonrise, Hernandez $500,000 - $700,000" is ≥10x the average estimate for the others. Anyone know why? Was it a Trinity site?

Robert Durran 17 Feb 2022
In reply to Solaris:

> Not surprised by the estimate for most of these pictures, but "Moonrise, Hernandez $500,000 - $700,000" is ≥10x the average estimate for the others. Anyone know why? Was it a Trinity site?

Is it mot just a ridiculously famous photo?

Pedro50 17 Feb 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Do the prices include postage and packing?

The Lemming 17 Feb 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

> Do the prices include postage and packing?

Do they provide colour versions?

Maybe even a NFT?

Solaris 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

Maybe. I don't know. "Winter Sunrise" and the shots looking up the Yosemite valley are more famous, I'd have thought, but that could just be me. My thought was that there must have been fewer prints made by the man himself.

timparkin 19 Feb 2022
In reply to Solaris:

Moonrise over Hernandez is probably historically significant rather than famous

Robert Durran 19 Feb 2022
In reply to timparkin:

> Moonrise over Hernandez is probably historically significant rather than famous

Why do you say that? Its Wikipedia entry doesn't help me! Along with one of the Yosemite ones, it immediately leapt out at me as iconic.

Jamie Wakeham 19 Feb 2022
In reply to timparkin:

Not sure.  If you'd asked me to name some famous AA prints, I'm fairly sure I'd have included Moonrise, Hernandez as one of them (I'd guess as well known as Monolith and Tetons and Snake River).  

I'm astonished to see just how many genuine AA prints of Moonrise there are!  He apparently made more than 1300.  Some will differ quite a bit from the others ('the negative is the score, the print is the performance') and this one looks like it has rather more sky detail than the repro I have.

Mind you it was only estimated by Sothebys to go for $60-90k, not the $500-700k that the Grauniad suggested, and it actually went for $101k.

Marek 19 Feb 2022
In reply to timparkin:

> Moonrise over Hernandez is probably historically significant rather than famous

I think it is significant because of the price it fetched yesterday and that's what makes it expensive today. It's the 'logic' that props up the art market.

It's the more commercial version of "art galleries collect significant works of art and works of art are defined as significant by being in art galleries".

Perhaps I'm just cynical about 'art'.

Post edited at 13:22
 timparkin 20 Feb 2022

It' iconic, but so are many Ansel photos. Moonlight over Hernandez was reprinted many times and is used a demonstration of Ansel's changing aesthetics. It's also part of a story Ansel tells about metering for scenes and previsualisation (alongside Monolith, the Face of Half Dome). However, there are a LOT of prints of it out there so it's provenance is probably the biggest influence on just how high it might end up valued/sold for. 

Rarely is a photograph traded for exceptionally high prices because it's popular and beautiful (more's the pity). 

Tim

Marek 20 Feb 2022
In reply to timparkin:

> Rarely is a photograph traded for exceptionally high prices because it's popular and beautiful (more's the pity). 

I've occasionally fantasized about a world where art is valued purely for what's 'in the frame' rather than its provenance (including the name of the creator). I think it would be very different to today's art world!

Robert Durran 20 Feb 2022
In reply to timparkin:

> It's iconic, but so are many Ansel photos.

I think this one would probably rank among the top 4 or 5 though wouldn't it?

> Rarely is a photograph traded for exceptionally high prices because it's popular and beautiful (more's the pity). 

Sadly true. There may be other factors at play with it but it is a beautiful shot though!

In reply to Pedro50:

Don't be silly it will come in a Zip file  

aln 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Toerag:

When I was 15 (43 years ago) I was in John Smith's bookshop in Glasgow browsing awestruck over a big coffee table book of art print reproductions of these photos. Halfway through I had a sudden nosebleed... It wasn't pretty. Way above my budget so I closed the book quickly, pinched my nose and ran out. I've felt guilty ever since.

timparkin 25 Feb 2022

> I think this one would probably rank among the top 4 or 5 though wouldn't it?

For the art world and photographers, yes I'd definitely agree. For the Sierra Club poster buying general US public, I'd say it wouldnt' be that memorable. Possibly they'd recognise it. 

If you check out the Ansel Adam's Gallery originals page - MoH doesn't feature

https://shop.anseladams.com/collections/original-photographs-by-ansel-adams

Neither is it on their 'exclusives' list

https://shop.anseladams.com/collections/ansel-adams-exclusives2?page=2

I'm sure they know what is popular and what sells... 

It is on their 'framed posted' page so it does get a decent profile still.

Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...