Adding text to pictures

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Raymondo 07 Aug 2021

Hi All,

Not been on UKC as a poster recently, too many sock puppets LOL. But always happy to read the pub without posting.

I have some pictures, but I wish to add text to the bottom just to identify (ie label) the picture. Something simple, just click an icon, type some text, and it get's applied to the said jpeg file. Same place, same font, no fuss.

Looks like pictures in windows 10 does that but when I tried it creates a video rather then just add text to a jpeg. Any ideas.

The wife has Photoshop Elements 11, not sure if that can do it.

A bespoke free program might be the answer ?

Thanks All.

Dan Arkle 07 Aug 2021
In reply to Raymondo:

Try save as jpeg after your edit.

Click the “File” menu and then click the “Save As” command. In the Save As window, choose the JPG format on the “Save As Type” drop-down menu and then click the “Save” button

SouthernSteve 07 Aug 2021
In reply to Raymondo:

Photoshop elements would work well. You could use layers to protect the underlying picture from change in case you need to correct and always work on a copy. Depends a little on the final destination how you would handle this. The alternative for viewing with people is to use labelled web pages or to remember the details of a picture use really long filenames which cover the details (e.g. 2021-08-07-Climbing in Skye in the Rain with Rob and Dave-01.jpg

OP Raymondo 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Try save as jpeg after your edit.

> Click the “File” menu and then click the “Save As” command. In the Save As window, choose the JPG format on the “Save As Type” drop-down menu and then click the “Save” button

No worries, I'll try that.

OP Raymondo 08 Aug 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Photoshop elements would work well. You could use layers to protect the underlying picture from change in case you need to correct and always work on a copy. Depends a little on the final destination how you would handle this.

Was trying to avoid using layers if possible, to keep it simple and quick.

The text label overlay would always be on a copy, so the 'original' file would be safe.

> The alternative for viewing with people is to use labelled web pages or to remember the details of a picture use really long filenames which cover the details (e.g. 2021-08-07-Climbing in Skye in the Rain with Rob and Dave-01.jpg

Yes, thought about doing that, but when doing a 'slideshow' on TV the filename does not appear.

OP Raymondo 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Raymondo:

> No worries, I'll try that.

No, does not give any other file type options, just 1080p, 720p 540p. That's it.

I'll see what Photoshop can do. 

OP Raymondo 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Raymondo:

Looks like Photoshop can add text but the positioning of the text box (as far as I can tell) is freehand, so positioning on a consistent basis is a bit tricky. Would be quite annoying to have a slideshow with inconsistent positioning of text.

Any ideas to get the position consistent.

Fraser 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Raymondo:

Now that you've told us you want to do a slideshow and have consistent title placement, the best option might be PowerPoint. Have the text location in your template so it's consistently placed then drop in your selected images.

Or set up a template file in Photoshop and turn on Guides to locate your text consistently.

nickprior 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Raymondo:

If you want to work on the files directly you could use something like Irfanview. 

One way of going about this would be to rename each file with the title you wish to appear then run the files through Irfanview's batch processor inserting the filename into each one - use $N instead of the suggested $F. You can define where the insertion point is for the batch. Set Irfanview to save a copy to a different folder - job done.

Tringa 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Raymondo:

I might be misunderstanding you but if all you want is to put some text onto a .jpg file then Photscape(http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php) will do this.

Photoscape is free to download and in addition to the above will do many photo editing actions. It is no where near as sophisticated as other editors(the RAW converter isn't good) but it is VERY easy to use.

Dave 

In reply to Raymondo:

> Looks like Photoshop can add text but the positioning of the text box (as far as I can tell) is freehand, so positioning on a consistent basis is a bit tricky. Would be quite annoying to have a slideshow with inconsistent positioning of text.

> Any ideas to get the position consistent.

No, as Fraser says, in PS or PS Elements you use Guides and then the move tool with Snap to Guides. In a text layer you'd have Align Left selected, so then the left hand edge of each text layer will be perfectly aligned.

In reply to Raymondo:

It looks like there are a few programs out there which can do this easily for multiple photos at once. I’ve never used it but this (paid for) one looks decent: https://www.batchphoto.com/howto/add-date/add-date.html#video

One feature to look out for is the ability to have the date appear against a background box so that it’s visible whether the photo is snow, night, or whatever. 

There’s a free trial with the above. Apologies if it’s just some malware…

OP Raymondo 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Fraser:

> Now that you've told us you want to do a slideshow and have consistent title placement, the best option might be PowerPoint. Have the text location in your template so it's consistently placed then drop in your selected images.

> Or set up a template file in Photoshop and turn on Guides to locate your text consistently.

Yes, I should have stated my request more clearly. Sorry.

Will explore the photoshop avenue. Trying to avoid powerpoint.

OP Raymondo 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Raymondo:

Some good links to free software thanks folks, might have a play at the weekend.

OP Raymondo 09 Aug 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> No, as Fraser says, in PS or PS Elements you use Guides and then the move tool with Snap to Guides. In a text layer you'd have Align Left selected, so then the left hand edge of each text layer will be perfectly aligned.

I think PS is the way to go provided the exercise does not become too time consuming.

I guess guides in PS is a bit like a ruler in PS. Aligning left/right will be easy, but top/bottom more complex, until you become comfortable with the process/steps (and therefore speedy).

Looks like the next step is to play in PS, then if the exercise is too longwinded revert to some free software.

Thanks to all posters !!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...