Adding tags to RAW files?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 02 May 2023

Is there a way to add Tags to Panasonic RAW (RW2) files?

My ageing copy of Lightroom 5.7 does not recognise the new RAW files, obviously because its old and no longer supported by Adobe. I could convert the RAW filed to DNG and then import into Lightroom to add Tags. However I'd rather not do that.

Since I bought a copy of DxO Photolabs, I can work direct with the RAW files without first having to convert to DNG files and to my perceived little brain, the images are far better when worked on direct from the RAW files. Sadly DxO will only add Tags in a Sidecar structure. Photolabs will add the Tags to any exported images, such as JPEG, TIFF or DNG but not the original image created by my camera.

I'd rather add the Tags to the original image files rather than make Sidecar files.

Anybody know if there is any image degradation, that I am not aware of, if I add Tags to my RAW files and then get an app like DxO to convert to a DNG file?

Post edited at 11:49
 HeMa 02 May 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I seem to recall, that majority of RAWs don't have a placeholder for the tags... so pretty much any program will actually couple the non-supported info to a sidecar xmp...

JPEG and those, actually do have a placeholder for that kind of info, which is why the sidecar is not needed (and better programs do understand that the ipct data section is different to the image portion, so adding ipct data, like tags/keywords, does not require re-encoding the picture portion... so no detoriation on the pic quality).

That being said... maybe things have moved on... and not most RAW formats actually also contain this non-image section... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...