Accidental damage warranty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 19 Jul 2020

I’m looking at buying Sony RX100 m6 for hill/trail running, multi day hiking and winter mountaineering. As a result, I’m worried I’d be putting it under harsh conditions and the camera isn’t made up for that. I have killed few cameras before... 

Is accidental damage warranty any good? It’s only £45 for 2 years of John Lewis own Protect Plus. It’s a bit cryptic to me as to what it covers. Accidental damage is covered, but what about moisture damage? Mechanical and electrical breakdown is not covered, which I presume would typically get covered by manufacturer warranty. 

Any experience with dealing with such warranties would be great. 

Graeme Hammond 19 Jul 2020
In reply to PPP:

I don't know about cameras but many mobile phones have a moisture sensor inside so if you return it saying it is faulty but really you had got it wet one of the first things they check is this sensor and will rightly say that it is water damaged and the warranty etc is void.

Some product cover may cover water damage but you need to check the small print.

OP PPP 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Yes, this would be an additional cover on top of manufacturer warranty.

Reading through a small print it says it doesn’t cover for:

> any loss, damage or impairment to functionality caused by: earthquake, flood, lightning, fire, wind, humidity, weather conditions, salt spray, storm or other natural events or catastrophes, abnormally high or low temperatures, plumbing problems, corrosion, chemical exposure, radiation, explosion, sabotage, terrorism, insurrection, revolution, war, riot, armed conflict, civil commotion, rebellion, man-made events or catastrophes or technological hazards (such as computer viruses or date-change faults);

Sounds like it’s no good then. Better hope we don’t have a Scottish revolution either. 

Would be good to find a cover that would be no questions asked cover, like Apple Care+. 

GMohr 19 Jul 2020
In reply to PPP:

I took it out as I was worried about the same when I bought a new camera for similar use a couple years ago.

Accidentally bashed it against a rock while down climbing at one point on striding edge as it was hanging around my neck under my jacket (the lenses got badly hit and wouldn't retract/ close, shutter damaged etc).

Went through the cover process and it was collected repaired and back with me in about a week maybe two? So I found it worth it, though the things they don't cover did make me feel a little nervous especially after the guy in store had said it "covers everything apart from theft" which on reading really doesn't seem to be true. 

jethro kiernan 19 Jul 2020
In reply to PPP:

Just took this out with my new camera, I was going to wait for the local shop to get one in, but I’ve used John Lewis returns before and they seem pretty no questions Asked so it was a deal breaker  As a backup to the home insurance I think it’s worth it.

The return was on a camera that stoped working, I picked a new one up the following day after the return.

Post edited at 16:03
 Dax H 19 Jul 2020
In reply to PPP:

Doesn't cover weather conditions but doesn't say anything about accidentally dropping it in a pond or the sea

I think what they are saying is we won't cover natural or man-made disaster and its not waterproof so we won't cover you using it in the rain. 

OP PPP 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Dax H:

Yes, I am happy I spent some time looking through policies. Some of them are borderline hilarious (e.g. not covered due to riot), but after hearing COVID-19 related insurance claim problems, I do understand why that's the case.

Went with Protect your Bubble that claims to cover water damage. I think it's borderline expensive, but given I have damaged 3 cameras in less than a decade... that should give me peace of mind when taking it on gnarly adventures. 

Dark-Cloud 04 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

Some of them are not worth the paper they are written on, so juts check out the wording and actual cover.

I had a nightmare with a 3 year extended warranty sold by a shop "yes sir, if it fails you just bring it back and we sort it out, no questions" what they meant was, if it fails we will send it back to the manufacturer, they will tell us it's been "damaged" (it was but not by me) want £300 for fixing a £600 13 month old camera and then we will just shrug our shoulders and leave you with a knackered camera.

It got sorted in the end with a lot of chasing and heated debates and me refusing to leave the shop on one occasion until they agreed a resolution,  i haven't darkened their door since and won't either !

Toerag 05 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

Doesn't your household insurance cover this kind of thing?

Myfyr Tomos 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Agree. Check your household insurance. I dropped a camera and the damage resulted in dodgy focus (sometimes) and a few scratches. House insurance (NFU Mutual) sorted it, no quibbling. There's a lot to be said for having a local office 8 miles away.

gezebo 05 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

So when it stops working after between 1 and 23 months because you accidentally dropped it in the bath you’re covered? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...