2019 Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 17 Jan 2020

A rare non-gear-related post. 

I visited the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize Exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in late November and although this one didn't win anything, it was by far my favourite, it seems to say a lot all at the same time, without actually trying to guide the viewer's thoughts. 

What do you think?

http://alinesmithson.com/finalist-in-the-2019-taylor-wessing-photographic-p...

It is a portrait of the photographer's 16-year-old daughter who is a big fan of Shaquille O'Neal (apparently he is a funny celebrity in his own right, way beyond his basketball fame of decades ago). I love it, there's a spontaneity, a celebration, a joy, and no preachy message like a lot of them had (many were more "photojournalism" than portraiture). If there is any message there it's simply that this girl doesn't mind her mum submitting a photo that shows a lot of pasty bare leg, and good for her. But I am already speculating. 
It's amusing that the subject of the photo is kind of unseen .

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Just exploring the photographer's website...this is a lovely thing

http://alinesmithson.com/portfolios/people-i-dont-know/

Tom Valentine 17 Jan 2020

> It's amusing that the subject of the photo is kind of unseen .

Amusing for some, confusing for others.  Kind of reassuring that it didn't win much of anything ( apart from your approval, of course.)

Post edited at 20:34
 wbo2 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:  lordy thats a mean spirited answer.

I thought  it clever.  I'd prefer them to have a larger phone screen, but that's trivial 

Robert Durran 17 Jan 2020
In reply to wbo2:

> lordy thats a mean spirited answer.

> I thought  it clever. 

I just find it kind of annoying. Each to their own though.......

Tom Valentine 17 Jan 2020
In reply to wbo2:

When B S asks "What do you think ?" I usually answer as honestly as I can.

I doubt he expected widespread approval of his choice, rather the opposite if anything.

Well this went well. 

pasbury 19 Jan 2020

Really not my bag, I’ve had a google for the exhibits and none of the ones I’ve seen excite me much. My gut reaction is that they’re less about the subject than the photographer.

aln 19 Jan 2020

I thought the photo was terrible. Seemed similar to a lot of conceptual art, without the concept being explained, it was meaningless, just a snapshot.

In reply to aln:

>  just a snapshot.

Do you think all proper portraits should be staged ?

Tom Valentine 23 Jan 2020

I tend to prefer portraits which show the subject who is nominally portrayed, usually face or head and shoulders.

Post edited at 11:40
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Probably no fan of the third-prize winner either then (though it does sort of show a face and various shoulders, I suppose)

https://www.garrodkirkwood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ENGLAND_CORTINA-2...

edit - staged, not a snapshot

Post edited at 12:15
 Tom Valentine 23 Jan 2020

Not much in terms of portraiture but  much much better photo than first or second placed entries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...